Lockers?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Lockers?

Post by Stuka »

If you are going to be hauling a lot of weight, you certainly want either an LSD or a selectable locker. Automatic lockers with lots of weight equates to broken axle shafts.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Did some research. I think ill go for a set of the ox manual lockers with the lever and cable shift. Arb would be perfect, but I like the price and simplicity of the ox locker. So now ive got something else to add to my list of "future jeep purchases". I think I'm up to a total of like 6k or something like that.... :lol: I imagine it will be 10 years or so before I finally get everything on my list, and at that point there will be something else to replace. The FSJ lifestyle is a vicious cycle :twisted:
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

My brother is running ox lockers in his rig and they are pretty awesome
In the market for a new FSJ

Jesse baker

Post by Jesse baker »

diffidently selectable

Irocz327

Post by Irocz327 »

I was wondering if any one is running ox lockers in a dana 44 with 35's if so how are/ did they hold up? & how do you like them?

I'm thinking of getting them for my rig in the future, just in the research stage right now.
Build Thread of the Bacon Wagon->http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3826
72 Wagoneer, 6.2 Diesel,700r4,NP208,Homemade 6in lift, Chevy Dana 44's & Maxxis Bighorn 35x12.5
Currently undergoing a ENTIRE new harness bumper to bumper! Custom built to my specs!:D

Off Road / Tool Trailer build->http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... f=8&t=5308
Looking for used 35x12.5 R15's
->http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5276

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

Get some aftermarket shafts.They were not to bad $$$ last time I looked, and its a good time to freshen the bearings.
35"s and a locker is about as far as I would go with a D44, and given the age of our axles I would only trust it with new HD shafts.

Your wheeling style will have a lot to do with how long it lives too.
Mostly slick stuff and little traction, it will probably live just fine.

High traction wheeling, or lots of wheel spin and then sudden grabbing will snap shafts.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

fulsizjeep wrote:Detroit True Track worm gear jobber doer...
+1

None of the disadvantages of a locker and none of the wear issues of a clutch-style limited slip. This is the style used by Audi, Subaru, and other AWD cars that like to brag about their "automatic torque distribution". It sends power to both wheels under almost all circumstances. And it does it without the sudden jerking action of a locker.

The only time a worm-gear LS acts like an open diff is when one wheel gets airborne. And the easy fix then is to apply a bit of brake to put some resistance on the floating wheel. I've seen at least one Youtube video of a Land Rover using this technique to get up a slick slope.
Having seller's regret.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I ran the E-locker in an 8.8 Explorer with 37" Boggers for 8 years. It didn't break but the cross shaft had wallowed out in the carrier. I never had an issue with locking or unlocking (electric operation was flawless).