Vehicle Shippers

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Nikiml

Vehicle Shippers

Post by Nikiml »

I am getting ready to move across the country. I am going to ship my Wagoneer because I don't want to put the mileage, or wear on it that 3000+ miles would do. Plus the gas will cost me close to what I think shipping it would. My question is does anyone have experience with shipping a Wagoneer? Can you recommend any shippers? Do you have any idea what kind of cost I should be looking for? I got a few quotes and they were all over the place, from $1000-$18000. I am going from Rhode Island to Oregon. They are sending me things about bidding for shippers and the truck driver taking the most lucrative job, it's all very confusing. I just want someone who will guarantee they will pick up my Jeep on a specified date or date range and deliver within a date range, and I want a company with a good reputation.

Thanks in advance.

acct21

Re: Vehicle Shippers

Post by acct21 »

Whatever you do, pay to have it put on a trailer with you there in person, and remain on the trailer until it is delivered.

Sold a restored 1978 Bronco to a guy in Missouri that used a vehicle shipping company in Dallas. We dropped off the truck and were told to "just park it in that lot." As we were leaving a guy came over with the largest forklift I've ever seen, and proceeded to try and pick the Bronco up with one fork on the radius arms and one one the rear driveshaft. Would have undoubtedly ruined all of it if we hadn't climbed up on his forklift to shout at him to stop.

Massive sign inside read: "Not responsible for any damage occurring with loading or unloading vehicles." Was a real eye-opener...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The two times I've shipped a vehicle, I used a broker - Bravo Transport. Worked out fine. They work with independent truckers to quote you a price. Their terms are printed on their web site http://bravotransport.com/
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Do NOT use Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS). Horrible experience. Including having the pickup tow company that THEY contracted with calling ME to say he wanted more money to drive up the mountain road. Was horrendous. But they were the cheapest by a lot. I know why now.

Sent from Tapatalk
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

it's a crapshoot. Mayflower moved a car for me awhile back. put it in one of their moving trucks, so I thought it would be protected. I didn't think they would load anything else since it was in the back. and the front was already loaded with crates of household stuff.. it arrived with a nice dent in the rear deck lid and some nasty scratches, down to the metal in spots, on the hood.
They did pay for the repairs, but it was my time and lack of transportation to get it fixed.
I did the uship thing to move our CJ3. Went with the guys that said it would not come off the trailer until delivered. pics of it loading shows it on the back of the trailer with another car on front. arrived as only thing on the trailer, a door handle was missing, the custom cover (that never should have been put on it for transport) blew off along the way and was ruined, and the kill switch for the batteries was "on" and the batteries dead even though my FIL turned it off after they got it on the trailer..
I am trying to figure out the same thing for another rig I just bought out west and need to ship to me..
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Not really a hi-jack, but are there any over-the-road haulers on the forum here? I seem to recall a couple of folks back on IFSJA a few years ago that were drivers. Any of you folks got recommendations or do hauling vehicles yourself?
I am also getting quotes all over the place. Even had to ask one rep to google "Jeep J-10" so they had an idea what I was talking about. They were assuming it was a small SUV. Price went up several hundred bucks afterward. Better than at pick-up or delivery, I guess.
Getting pick-up date on seller's day off (Wednesdays) is also proving challenging. No one wants to guarantee this. I am flexible on my end, but trying to accomodate their schedule.
Anyway, just thought I would see if anyone else had input. I requested a quote through Bravo. Will see where they come in.
Somehow I think it depends more on the truck and driver than the broker. Too bad I can't just call a truck owner.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

I realize this probably won't work for you, but I paid Budget Rent-a-Truck a thousand dollars for 4 days with a 26 foot van and a full size auto trailer. I put my '67 Fury on it, (bigger than a Wagoneer) and had a buddy drive it 1500 miles. It was worth it to me to know it was being loaded and driven by someone I trust. I was prepared to buy a plane ticket, fly back, load it and drive it myself, but he offered to do it for me. It would have been worth a lot more than $1000 to get my car back safe and sound. Hope you find a workable solution soon.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

haminawag wrote:I realize this probably won't work for you, but I paid Budget Rent-a-Truck a thousand dollars for 4 days with a 26 foot van and a full size auto trailer. I put my '67 Fury on it, (bigger than a Wagoneer) and had a buddy drive it 1500 miles. It was worth it to me to know it was being loaded and driven by someone I trust. I was prepared to buy a plane ticket, fly back, load it and drive it myself, but he offered to do it for me. It would have been worth a lot more than $1000 to get my car back safe and sound. Hope you find a workable solution soon.
That sounds like the best deal. Even when factoring in gas and a return plane ticket.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I would prefer to go out and get it but Uncle Sam just isn't cooperating with my Jeep addiction.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Ask Kaiserman. He had a J-truck shipped from Casper. Can't remember what he said it cost but, it was pretty cheap. I couldn't understand half of what the driver said (very heavy accent, Indian possibly) but, he knew exactly what it would take to load the Jeep, and he did it without any help or a single scratch. Very good driver. Once we got the Jeep moved to a location that he could park his car-hauler, that is. That part sucked because I have seen many semis parked on the road in front of where that Jeep was parked but the driver refused to load there, without even seeing the location. Just GPS. Still think Kaiserman got a heck of a deal, over-all.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Texasj10

Post by Texasj10 »

You might check the Yesterday's Tractor website. They have a section where you can request transportation to and from various locations. It is used primarily to move tractors and equipment around the country, but it's possible someone will need the back haul and take your wag.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Texasj10 wrote:You might check the Yesterday's Tractor website. They have a section where you can request transportation to and from various locations. It is used primarily to move tractors and equipment around the country, but it's possible someone will need the back haul and take your wag.

Awesome! :-bd
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4