steel or aluminium wheels?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
will e

steel or aluminium wheels?

Post by will e »

I like the looks and weight of aluminium but just a few trail rides ago a friend was able to take a bfh to his steel wheel and get it to seal again. What are your thoughts?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

AwesomeJ10

Re: steel or aluminium wheels?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I feel the aluminium H2 rims have held up good on the Honcho. I have yet to bend one, but they do have a few scratches and nicks. The tires are 14.5" wide on 9" rims, so they are on the narrow side of things, which has helped keep them away from damage. Now the D60 lockout hubs have taken a beating though!

I also feel the reduced weight of the aluminium helps me to run 42's at hwy speeds.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

There are certainly pro's and con's of each.

Steel can be more durable, but is also far heavier. Which hurts braking, acceleration, and fuel economy (although this is not much of an issue in your case). It can also make a vehicle handle worse due to the added unsprung weight, but this is more of an issue for cars than trucks. They are also harder to balance. I do not think I have ever seen a steel wheel that has a neutral balance.

Forged aluminum wheels can weigh far less (Depends on the design and alloy), and can actually be more durable in some cases. A forged aluminum wheels is extremely hard to damage to the point of it no longer functioning as a wheel. Sure they will scratch, but thats more cosmetic. The downside is forged wheels cost a lot (like 350-400 per wheel). They also typically have perfect neutral balance, so they require very few weights. Although they may still need a few with large tires. But less than a similar steel wheel. Forged wheels actually can bend, but it takes a huge amount of force to do it (Also dependent on wheel style).

Cast aluminum wheels share some of the benefits of forged wheels. They can weigh less than forged wheels depending on design, as the alloy is less dense. But some forged wheels can get away with smaller spokes, which can greatly drop their weight. Cast wheels will not bend, but they can chip, crack and break.

When shopping for an aluminum offroad wheel, stay away from wheels that have a thin rim. AEV pintler wheels are prone to breaking the rim that tire weights attach too as its quite thin. Sometimes they break far enough down to cause air to leak. Some offroad style aluminum wheels have a very thick outer rim though, which can make them quite durable.

It ultimately comes down to what you want to spend. If cost is no object, I see zero reason to go with a steel wheel. But steel is far cheaper, so sometimes it may be a buyers only choice simply due to finances.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Extreme rock crawling I think would warrant steels. Other than that I run aluminums on the Cherokee. I'm putting steel smoothies on the Honcho just for looks. It is preference to me unless you're going to beat them & then steel is the only way to go in my opinion. Good quality aluminum/magnesium wheels are cool. I like the fact they are straight & tough. There are some thin cheap ones out there though. Like Stuka says & they will break easy which in turn gets generalized into the aluminum wheels are like that..

The BFH approach is a good asset if you run your rig like that. It does justify the steel wheel but at that point the wheel is still destroyed. I've seen some contested conversations of folks that say the aluminum wheel would survive what bends a steel wheel but I believe that statement to be subjective to the situation. the fact is ther eis no after life without expensive repairs to aluminum. I've never destroyed a good one.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I dunno about the "aluminum is lighter" hooplah. I know for a fact that my Chevy Rally steelies from a blazer are lighter than my aluminum 15x8 five slots (looks like the Jeep 5 slots but were from a Chevy of the same vintage). Recently having both bare and stacking them side by side (in storage) the difference is noticeable and in steels favor, at least in this case.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

REDONE wrote:I dunno about the "aluminum is lighter" hooplah. I know for a fact that my Chevy Rally steelies from a blazer are lighter than my aluminum 15x8 five slots (looks like the Jeep 5 slots but were from a Chevy of the same vintage). Recently having both bare and stacking them side by side (in storage) the difference is noticeable and in steels favor, at least in this case.
Like I said, depends on the style of wheel. 5 slots are among the most heavy because they are one big chunk of aluminum with 5 small holes. Wheels of that era also had pretty poor metallurgy so they are not the quality of todays wheels. A more modern wheel will use thinner material but without being weaker.

The weight difference grows as you go to larger wheels too. 17" steel wheels are HEAVY when compared to most 17" aluminum wheels. But again, it does depend on style.

But there is a reason no performance vehicle uses steel wheels. Unsprung weight can greatly affect handling. So they want the lightest wheel/tire combo they can (for a given amount of money anyway).
2017 JKU Rubicon

Southern Gorilla

Post by Southern Gorilla »

REDONE wrote:I dunno about the "aluminum is lighter" hooplah. I know for a fact that my Chevy Rally steelies from a blazer are lighter than my aluminum 15x8 five slots (looks like the Jeep 5 slots but were from a Chevy of the same vintage). Recently having both bare and stacking them side by side (in storage) the difference is noticeable and in steels favor, at least in this case.
+1
For any given volume, aluminum is far lighter than steel. But aluminum is alos much weaker. So it has to be thicker to get the same strength as a given piece of steel. There's a whole lot more aluminum in any wheel design than steel in the same design. I wouldn't doubt that aluminum is always lighter. But I do doubt the difference is that impressive. Especially after you factor in the tire, beadlocks, LED valve cap, etc.

I'm planning to go with steel just because I don't think a five-pound weight reduction is worth the extra expense and reduced durability.

And I've seen more than one steel wheel get hammered back into shape. Got one on the rig at work as a matter of fact. I watched the guy at the tire shop beat it back with a BFH and it's been rolling just fine for several months since. I don't put much stock in the idea that an "adjusted" wheel is junk. But it does seem logical that an "adjusted" wheel could use a bit of annealing afterwards.
Having seller's regret.

Atla

Post by Atla »

Steel?

"Having run one set of steel wheels on my previous TJ and three different sets of aftermarket aluminum wheels, I will never run steel wheels again. Steel wheels are fine for easier trails but on tougher trails, they simply bend and dent too easily. Aluminum holds up far better, period. I lost track of how many bent and dented steel wheels I had, but I've only had one cracked aluminum wheel (due to an exceptionally difficult rock crawling trail) and that was a cheapy cast aluminum wheel.

Here's a great pic of Erik Jordan's (he's a JF moderator) steel wheel after a day on the rocks in Johnson Valley. Erik no longer runs steel wheels either." -Jerry Bransford

Edit - No mention if it still held air :-bd
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Thanks for the input guys. I have run aluminum for years both factory rims and aftermarket. I have scratched the heck out of them, roughened up the bead edge and taken out a few small chunks but never had a failure. I am trying to remember anyone having a failure on an aluminum rim on the trail.

So I will probably go aluminum. I see there is cast, alloy and forged. Forged are expensive. Alloy not too much more than cast. I am going to need some 8 lug, 17 inch and probably 9 inch or so width. Anyone have suggestions? I like what I have now:

I don't want some fancy crazy design. Simple is preferred.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

I don't know about the width but I *think* the late 90's f250-f350 bullet holes are pretty close to what you want.

Sent from my Motorola Moto X
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

nc wagoneer wrote:I don't know about the width but I *think* the late 90's f250-f350 bullet holes are pretty close to what you want.

Sent from my Motorola Moto X
Those wheels are metric bolt pattern, not 8x6.5.

Here are a few wheels I have seen hold up well. The ones with "fake" beadlocks actually are quite a bit stronger. These are all on the more affordable side. If you are willing to spend more, take a look at ATX wheels. They can be expensive, but are really very good.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/La-Pa ... 5129-78582

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/La-Pa ... 5129-78582

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/NV-17 ... 0578580300

There are also the exact wheels you have now for that size/lug pattern. The holes are just larger because of the larger diameter wheel.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Atla

Post by Atla »

Stuka wrote:
When shopping for an aluminum offroad wheel, stay away from wheels that have a thin rim. AEV pintler wheels are prone to breaking the rim that tire weights attach too as its quite thin. Sometimes they break far enough down to cause air to leak. Some offroad style aluminum wheels have a very thick outer rim though, which can make them quite durable.
Aw man, I really liked the AEV wheels too.
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Stuka wrote:
But there is a reason no performance vehicle uses steel wheels.
NASCAR! You wanna go fast and turn left, you need you a set of steel wheels! :P
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

And besides, steel wheels can do amazing things, just watch Terry Thomas' '58 Willys wagon in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World".
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

REDONE wrote:
Stuka wrote:
But there is a reason no performance vehicle uses steel wheels.
NASCAR! You wanna go fast and turn left, you need you a set of steel wheels! :P
LOL! You also need to make sure they are only 15" wheels so that you can only fit little tiny rotors on your big 4500lb race car! That way you continue to go fast even when you dont want too!
2017 JKU Rubicon

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Stuka wrote:
LOL! You also need to make sure they are only 15" wheels so that you can only fit little tiny rotors on your big 4500lb race car! That way you continue to go fast even when you dont want too!
Don't forget disconnecting the LF brake, atleast that's how to do it on a dirt track. :P
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

One day...The Duck Blind will sit in front of this sign too:)

Howard :fsj:
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"