Fiancee saved my Ouray trip!!!!

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
tndonor

Fiancee saved my Ouray trip!!!!

Post by tndonor »

The other day, my DD that is also my tow rig (08 Ram 3500 SRW) decided to throw the Diesel Particulate Filter 80% full, regeneration needed message. I drove on the interstate for an hour to no avail.......it clogged or the computer thought it did. I went into reduced power. I limped home. Next morning I take the DPF off and pressure wash the inside of it. I have read some had temporary success with this. It was only a couple hours of my time so I thought what the hey. Nothing. soaked it in simple green, washed, rinsed, inverted, repeat.

So now I have a truck that will not pull itself out of traffic much less a gooseneck.......much less loaded with my heifer of a Jeep on trailer. Cheapest I found anyone to clear the code (which must be done with special scanner, not the OBDIIs everyone has, new DPF) was around $2750. I was convinced my Ouray trip went down the tubes right there. It is $230 to fill the jeep up (60 gallons Diesel), fuel there and back, food, etc I thought there was no way this close I was going to make it.

Went and had a few beers with my Fiancee. We talked about replacing the DPF versus deleting it and putting EFI live on there for towing. She bought me the deletes and programmer........I still on for Ouray!!!!!! She knows how much I love my Jeep. She threw a party for the maiden voyage, celebrate Jeepmas (similar to Christmas), etc. I didn't ask her to do this, she just did. She's a world class woman. Makes me love her that much more.

Ouray is my bachelor party we joke. She is going to the beach......I got the better trip. Just had to brag on her cause I wouldn't be going without her
1967 Jeep M715. Cummins HX35/HT3B NV4500 203/205 Doubler. HP60/14B. OBW. OBA.
Ive done my part to jump start the economy

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Fiancee saved my Ouray trip!!!!

Post by Stuka »

Sounds like the regeneration process was not working, it should not not get that much particulate built up on it. Well, unless you have a lot of miles.

Great that you are able to take it, but admittedly I am pretty against people pulling those off as they are there for a reason. They do not hurt performance at all, they just make it so that the air we breath is a bit cleaner.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
tndonor

Post by tndonor »

Truck will not go into regen. Cant even force it into regen. It will require a new ECM flash on top of everything else. Deleting it is a temporary fix. I have to have it for annual emissions certification to renew my tags. In the end Ill have a programmer to give me a little umph for the hills around here.
1967 Jeep M715. Cummins HX35/HT3B NV4500 203/205 Doubler. HP60/14B. OBW. OBA.
Ive done my part to jump start the economy

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh gotcha. Have fun in ouray!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ