Panel delivery resto-mod wag canceled in lieu of 78 Cherokee NT.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by 66stepside »

Epic block sanding. Unknown number of coats.

One of many candy coats after base.

While paint dries and multiple coats go on, I cleaned up the parts. I thought the Latah Posse sticker was super cool. Latah is an area of Spokane with a deep rual history. For many years it's been called Hangman Creek due to the US Army's policy of taking surrendering Indian chiefs, who came in under the white flag, and court marshaling them on site, then hanging them immediately (back in tge 1800's). The actual hangman's tree is still visible today, decaying. When folks came up from Cali and drove up real estate prices they started to call that area Latah Creek instead. Gotta love revisionist history. But I digress.

"New" versus old. The old was a trick plexiglass one that just didn't last over the years.

Unpainted, unrestored arm rests in factory black, best 2 of 4.

Two best pairs culled from the herd. Unrestored, just polished.

Mostly done final draft.

Now it's on to the other side. The whole interior (even the headliner) will be done in that fabric.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Snagged a few parts: I especially needed the frame PS bracket for the conversion:

Here's the dirty close up:

One step closer to PS!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Those early armrests are the best, in my opinion. Great finds you come up with. What's new on this truck?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Those early armrests are the best, in my opinion. Great finds you come up with. What's new on this truck?
Thanks, this area is heavy in vintage jeeps, so the credit for the finds goes to luck and happenstance.

As far as anything new for the ride, I am just getting ready to finally install a matching rear axle and rear drive line. Always the status quo with the panel- it's got to be just right and that's a slow process. I did drive it around the block- we were in the low 70's all week. :-bd

I am waiting on the 8' thrift side bed I bought from Kaiserman to be brought up to Spokane by BostonBob... Bob and the bed are in Denver (Conifer,CO) and apparently snowed in a bit?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

It may not be much, but it's been on my list to do since I swapped in the front axle off the 72 waggie doner. So this pic is of the old one.
I was able to swap in the matching rear axle. Now I can get the rear driveline done, beauty rings installed, too. More importantly. It frees up space in the shop.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Picked up a winch bumper:

I prefer the looks of this style, though:

Sent from my Deloran (upgraded Flux Capacitor) using Tapatalk.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

After doing a bit of welding on the 66's front bumper mounts to reinforce it (it's tucked up and in, so not quite factory any more), I kept on painting with the brush right on over to the panel's passenger side door. I hope to wrap up the dash/door area by next weekend and get a windshield installed!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

What kind of paint are you using inside the door? Looking forward to your windshield install. I'd like to get rid of my de-laminating, hazy, ugly front glass. The back glass that I sent sparks into, creating little divots before I knew any better can wait a while!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Awesome :-bd :-bd
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
66stepside

Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:What kind of paint are you using inside the door? Looking forward to your windshield install. I'd like to get rid of my de-laminating, hazy, ugly front glass. The back glass that I sent sparks into, creating little divots before I knew any better can wait a while!
When it comes to interior, unseen areas, or under anything I use Rustoleum quart, or rattle can products as over the years it seems to hold up the best of off the shelf stuff.

I did the same divot thing to my headlights! It's pretty frustrating, but they still function, so I guess they'll stay. Lol.

Yeah, I've had more than one windshield delaminate on me. I am kind of excited to get the windshield as it means I can start to drive it legally!
serehill wrote:Awesome :-bd :-bd
Thanks.

Meanwhile, I am ready to disassemble the door and insulate, swap the insides and replace the vent window.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

RIP Grandpa. 1927-2014. 70+ years of marriage to the same wonderful lady. You will be missed.
YAE:

I put up the flag the Marine Honor Guard gave my grandma at her request.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Wow, I'm working on the cowl induction hood screen while 62thriftside is making templates for the 66's wrap around bumper tool boxes and what do you know, my daughter came out to supervise! I've got her picking up the leftover bits n pieces.

Very cool.

YAE:

Here's my screen in it's mostly done draft:

It has three coats of rattle can bed liner. It fits snugly in-between the hood and the air induction vent. This is one of the last steps that needed completion before I get the front windshield installed.
YAE:
One of the other necessary changes is to install the 3rd choke cable. I had two factory looking chokes, but the crimps closest to the pull knob separated thus ruining them both. The solution was to take the spare choke cable from the m715 dash and modify it. C'mon, you knew a mod was coming, right?
I blew apart the stock unit to remove the factory "Choke" button:

The button came off with some prying. Light work with the hammer and dolly made it right:

I used the drill press to widen the button's center hole to fit the larger threaded m715's cable (I doubt what I pulled off the m dash was stock- military rigs usually don't have chrome).

I then carefully cut the outer sheathing to length for it's new purpose- making sure not to cut or nick the inner cable.

Then it was time to hook it up on both ends:

Now on to the polishing phase, then three more things on the list before the windshield.

YAE:

I gutted the doner passenger's side door, cleaned, painted and lubed all the pieces and parts. It sure was nice to free up some space in the shop getting that spare door out of here.

This was all while I was prepping the panel's passenger side door for three stage paint. I've thought of a few more cosmetic touches for the jeep, one of which will effect the doors. Slow n steady wins the race.Image

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Not too far today. The wing window stopped me cold. The upper retaining bracket was cut off deep into the door and I fought the two screws for awhile after soaking them in penetrating oil.
But I did manage to get the burnt orange laid down in two of the three stages (just needs a clear coat), and I swapped in the newer internals. I also got the wing window's lower metal part painted. So wrapping it up will have to wait for another day.

I wonder why someone would go through the hassle of cutting a plexiglass replacement vent window and not drill one hole to screw the upper hinge on in order to retain a functional piece?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I went to drop off the driveline so it can be shortened 2.25", but it can't be shortened due to the weird output yoke from 72.

So the hunt is on for a "new" rear yoke. By new I mean scrounging the local wrecking yards for a yoke that'll fit the dana 20.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

A "good" driveline shop can cut the tube and put your yoke back on. I've watched it done several times. Theres even a shop about 2 miles from me that does it... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

jaber wrote:A "good" driveline shop can cut the tube and put your yoke back on. I've watched it done several times. Theres even a shop about 2 miles from me that does it... ;)
Very true, but I'd also rather have a standard yoke in the event I swap in a different, stronger motor in the future.

The 67 truck in the wrecking yard coughed up the part I needed.

I plan on using one of three spare drivelines I have in my stash O' parts.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Don't forget you need a slip joint now.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks- but why? Do I seem uptight? I know it's legal in Washington State, but I won't be rolling joints anytime soon, slip, or not. In fact, I don't even know how to roll a slip joint.

Just kidding about what a slip joint is. The "new" driveline was from a truck with dana 20 that had the conventional yoke, so the driveline has the slip mechanism in place. It's more heavy duty that what was on the waggie in the first place, so that's why I am using it. It's also solid. The u-joints are tight, but I'll be replacing them anyway.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I cleaned the "new" yoke and installed it. Triple checked the measurements for the driveshaft and then loaded the driveshaft into the back of the 66.

No pics of that boring stuff. I worked a little bit on the passenger's door, but it's not quite done; no pics of that boring stuff, either. :ugeek:

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote:Thanks- but why? Do I seem uptight? I know it's legal in Washington State, but I won't be rolling joints anytime soon, slip, or not. In fact, I don't even know how to roll a slip joint.
Ha! I love it. Thanks for the laugh!!!