HELP: Dash Light Switch dims my parking lights!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Hecdog

HELP: Dash Light Switch dims my parking lights!

Post by Hecdog »

Please help, I have a weird one here: I have a 1978 Wagoneer and 3 weeks ago all of a sudden I noticed the DASH lights would light up even though I had the lights completely turned off. It turned out the dash and parking lights were on even though I had the light switch off. After experimenting, here are the symptoms:

1. When the car is off and light switch is fully off, the dash lights, warning buzzer and parking lights are ON. Dimming the switch down, fades the parking lights off and fades off the warning buzzer (the one that warns you your lights are on).

2. Dimming the switch does not dim the dash lights with either the car on or off, it only dims the parking lights (and the warning buzzer when the car is off).

3. 3 weeks ago, the dash lights will sporadically (and correctly) turn themselves off when the car is off and the switch is in the off position, I just kept turning the switch on and off until they turned off. But now, no amount of switch manipulation turns them off. I have to disconnect the battery.

I ordered a new replacement light switch from EBAY and swapped it out last night. It still does the EXACT same thing, so it doesn't seem to be the switch, unless it's defective.

Is there any other thing that would cause this? Is there some kind of "intelligent" light control module somewhere?

carnuck

Re: HELP: Dash Light Switch dims my parking lights!

Post by carnuck »

Sounds like a bad switch or someone installed a radio/electric accessory incorrectly. Occaisionally feedback from the door switch can cause issues.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Hecdog

Post by Hecdog »

carnuck wrote:Sounds like a bad switch or someone installed a radio/electric accessory incorrectly. Occaisionally feedback from the door switch can cause issues.
Thanks for the reply. I just installed a new switch. No other new installations of any sort. Any idea how the circuit works, such that the dimmer output has been rerouted to the buzzer and parking lights?

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Did it start after a new switch? I'd say faulty or wrong switch was the case. Do they go off when you close the door? If so, you may be missing the ground from the battery to the body or some wires may be melted together someplace.

Topic author
Hecdog

Post by Hecdog »

carnuck wrote:Did it start after a new switch? I'd say faulty or wrong switch was the case. Do they go off when you close the door? If so, you may be missing the ground from the battery to the body or some wires may be melted together someplace.
No, I replaced the switch to ry to correct the problem. It started 2 weeks before the switch swap. It does not turn off when the door closes.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Check the wires going into the tailgate aren't broken and touching