Basic roll cage for Grand Wag

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TUDrewser

Basic roll cage for Grand Wag

Post by TUDrewser »

Anyone have pics of a basic roll cage in a Wagoneer? I was reminded again this weekend of the importance, even if not going crazy on the trail.

I have a set of 3 point seat belts I was going to install in back for my kids and child restraints, but now that the Jeep is basically just a wheeling rig, I'm considering putting bars and harnesses in. My mind has been thinking about an "emergency" roll cage...something that will hold up in an accidental slip but won't be in the way for light trails. I still need two rows of seats. Not to mention that I don't trust any of my seat belts...I can't seem to get them to catch worth a darn, whether in the front seat or setting them with car seats. Is it possible to build it in sections as I have time and money?

Figure I can paint it with this to make it even less conspicuous: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Automo ... 006ZLQ8ZO/ (yes, tease away that I have the paint color picked out before I even have an idea what I'm doing).

Of course, once I get a roll cage, that means I need lockers and a bigger lift. And bigger tires. Then bigger axles and lower gears. Then new bumpers and a winch. Then a trailer to tow it....then...then...... :fsj:

Tips? Thoughts? Things to watch out for?
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

will e

Re: Basic roll cage for Grand Wag

Post by will e »

Dude, your signature, really. ;) :) :-bd

These rigs hold up pretty well on a one or two rollover situation. After that the integrety diminishes as the windshield may have broken and the doors might be coming off/open. A full cage will limit entrance/exit for the front seats. It may also make it difficult to do other types of work. Looking at mine it would block the AC vents as well.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

will e wrote:Dude, your signature, really. ;) :) :-bd
You caught that quick ;-)
will e wrote:These rigs hold up pretty well on a one or two rollover situation. After that the integrety diminishes as the windshield may have broken and the doors might be coming off/open. A full cage will limit entrance/exit for the front seats. It may also make it difficult to do other types of work. Looking at mine it would block the AC vents as well.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I was pinging with rstep a bit and my main goal is anchors for the child seats and seat belts. Second goal is just some extra support for the roof. Honestly, my biggest concern is when I have the kids in the car. I don't need a FULL cage...but something along the B pillars and C pillars I think would suffice, with some cross supports. But then wonder if I should extend to the front windshield a bit, just in case...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Rusty's Offroad actually sold a bolt in one. It was only a rear hoop and supports. Would help in a rollover, but was not the same as a full cage. In most cases a hoop in the location of the B pillar with supports going back to the wheel humps is sufficient provided you are not topless.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Found an old thread that helps (for cross reference): http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2001

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

This is what I'm thinking I like...but for a 4 door (not blocking the rear doors).

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

TUDrewser wrote:...Of course, once I get a roll cage, that means I need lockers and a bigger lift. And bigger tires. Then bigger axles and lower gears. Then new bumpers and a winch. Then a trailer to tow it....then...then...... :fsj: ...
I don't see a problem here.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

My buddy has a tubing bender. Now I just need to sell my first born on the black market to afford the steel tubing. (But prefer chromoly)
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

DeepAboveSurface

Post by DeepAboveSurface »

i was thinking about something like that... BUT... use 1x3 or 1x4 rectangular tubing as to not be so bulky... just an idea[img][img]

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

DeepAboveSurface wrote:i was thinking about something like that... BUT... use 1x3 or 1x4 rectangular tubing as to not be so bulky... just an idea[img][img]
A circle is stronger than a square.
Drink more Water

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

If you can, try to find images of the cage in the j12 concept truck. I liked it but too complicated for me. It was a mix of round and rectangular tube, pretty slick.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

TitaniaDieKrieger

Post by TitaniaDieKrieger »

I sketched out a rough cage design for my cherokee earlier I went a bit overboard but some things could work for what you want

Here is design for a GW basic cage. Hard to tell without taking measurements inside it but basic layout is as follows

Cherokee design is slightly altered to allow people to get in the back row easily
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

kurtuleas

Post by kurtuleas »

I am not really a big fan of exo cages at all...

but a buddy of mine on facebook sent me this pic, and I kinda like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CRAWL MAGAZINE

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

kurtuleas wrote:I am not really a big fan of exo cages at all...

That looks like it was a TON of work...look at all those small bends!

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

kurtuleas wrote:I am not really a big fan of exo cages at all...

Looks like crap to me, no triangulation.
Why would you need this?
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Maybe it's on the top? OK, fine Tad, you can build me one the way you want if you insist ;)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

I use to want an exo cage for my Cherokee. They look neat, but decided for what I will ever do, not needed.

ferox

Post by ferox »

I am not a huge fan of exo's either, but I have seen a few that were well done. From a practical standpoint they make a lot of sense; however, in this case they wouldn't provide the OP with anchor points for seat belts. A couple hoops for two rows of seats would be ideal for that consideration, but I think you would want a little triangulation. The hard part is figuring out how to do that and still make the seats accessible. If you aren't putting in two rows of seats behind the front seats that would be a lot easier. Not sure exactly what you mean by two rows.
'82 Wagoneer, 258, T176, NP208, D44, AMC20, Weber 32/36 DGV http://www.arkive.org/fossa/cryptoprocta-ferox/

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The exos look cool, but I expect they would be he11 on gas mileage. And I think you will get a different mind set with an exo, that it's ok to set the vehicle on its side. You won't be thinking "I'm not going to die" as much as "I'm not going to damage the paint." You'd take more chances - which could be a good thing, or not.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Tad wrote: Why would you need this?
To show off your tube bending skills.

Seems it would do nothing but hang up on rocks and trees on the trail. These things are big enough without hanging stuff on the outside.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.