T-5 Manual Transmission?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
66stepside

T-5 Manual Transmission?

Post by 66stepside »

You guys are not helping! Lol. It looks better than he described it in the ad.

I'm planning on one more build. Then it becomes a "maintaining the herd" kind of thing. I'd like the last build to be a super, or a 1414x. But nothing says that one can't be a Super clone of sorts.

tgreese

Re: T-5 Manual Transmission?

Post by tgreese »

Just think how easily a 4.0L HO would fit in there ... find the right donor and get highway power, better economy, factory multiport fuel injection, and a significant transmission upgrade all at once.

If I were in the market, it would be hard for me to pass this one by.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

tgreese wrote:Just think how easily a 4.0L HO would fit in there ... find the right donor and get highway power, better economy, factory multiport fuel injection, and a significant transmission upgrade all at once.

If I were in the market, it would be hard for me to pass this one by.
The father-son jeep project will be my first attempt into the 4.0 fuel injection world. Maybe my last- depending on how it goes.

It is a good looking Waggie for sure. I dig the lack of wood grain moulding. I asked for a few more pics, but nothing yet.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Where I live, I'd be on that for sure because of the lack of rust, but you seem to come across a lot more FSJs out there on the west coast. No doubt that Brougham is a cool package not often seen, but if you really want a Super or 1414X then I might hold off on this one. If you want a cool daily driver then this one seems pretty great. If you were to make it a DD plus add some Super or 1414X tribute items, I'd think you'd be adding 3-pc bumpers, the console of course - although that doesn't really jive with the manual trans. - some kind of grille swap, wheels, dash (maybe) and maybe replacing the thin wood strip with some kind of material that is close to that unique Super Wag trim material.

Geeeez, now I'm confusing myself! Maybe decide first if you're looking more for a cool DD or a Super (or 1414X) and take it from there.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Where I live, I'd be on that for sure because of the lack of rust, but you seem to come across a lot more FSJs out there on the west coast. No doubt that Brougham is a cool package not often seen, but if you really want a Super or 1414X then I might hold off on this one. If you want a cool daily driver then this one seems pretty great. If you were to make it a DD plus add some Super or 1414X tribute items, I'd think you'd be adding 3-pc bumpers, the console of course - although that doesn't really jive with the manual trans. - some kind of grille swap, wheels, dash (maybe) and maybe replacing the thin wood strip with some kind of material that is close to that unique Super Wag trim material.

Geeeez, now I'm confusing myself! Maybe decide first if you're looking more for a cool DD or a Super (or 1414X) and take it from there.
Agreed.

But, by the time I decide, it'll be gone. C'est la vie.

All in all, though, I'd want a true daily driver, so a clone would be the better option rather than an original (theoretically less money to keep it going, too). A clone wouldn't have to have all the elements of the original, but enough (IMHO) to be a clone.

The 80's Waggie has bucket seats, so a caddy center console, or a super console modded for a manual tranny (I have a modded super console already). The white waggie has the stripe underneath like the Super's black stripe, so the "only" side trim needed is the aluminum panels and chrome retaining pieces. I'd muscle or razor grill it, too. No need for AC.

Man, I think I'm talking myself into a purchase! Must... stop... thinking... about... the... possibilities! :x

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Don't shoot Federal shells............
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Or Federal Employees.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Those are the last of the pics.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Even with the transmission issue I think its worth it. When I bought my truck only 2nd and 4th worked, and I drove it 4.5 hours home. Sure I had to rebuild the trans, but it was still worth it in the end.

If you want to make a clone, thats a good start with a far better drivetrain than an original.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:Even with the transmission issue I think its worth it. When I bought my truck only 2nd and 4th worked, and I drove it 4.5 hours home. Sure I had to rebuild the trans, but it was still worth it in the end.

If you want to make a clone, thats a good start with a far better drivetrain than an original.
I have to say that I agree 100%.

This one is 5.5 hours from home, 11 hours round trip, from sea level to 3400' at Snoqualmie Pass, down to 663' at Vantage, then back up to 1843' at Spokane. BUT, I have a brother-in-law in Paulsbo, which is 54 minutes from Sequim. :idea:

After all my selling off parts I don't need, I have the money set aside. Ultimately, though, it's now a matter of persuading my wife this jeep purchase will be my last that doesn't get parted out, or resold. They're supposed to be bought when they pop up, not when you need them, right? That is easier said than done. :oops:

Topic author
66stepside

T-5 Manual Transmission?

Post by 66stepside »

Well, how about this one for 1200?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4865922140.html

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Looks like it needs WAY more work. But... barn doors...
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The barn doors are worth that to the right person. And it would be a good compliment to the panel in your collection. Two rare waggies and two custom trucks? Sounds like a plan to me.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Or if I were you... I'd buy both and put the best parts of both together on one super wag. A 1919X body with barn doors on an 80's chassis with a fuel injected AMC power plant? Oooh now you've got me thinking!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Wonderful! I just pulled a T5 out of a 83 Cherokee to put behind my 258. I had one when I was in my 20's that I put in my 77 Chief never had a problem with it and I was not nice to it at all.
Is there anyway to tell if I have the World Class one or not.

Thanks,Loner
81 Cherokee Chief W/T :fsj:
41 GMC CCKW

Tin Medic

T-5 Manual Transmission?

Post by Tin Medic »

The world class T5 was not in Jeeps. Mostly seen in mustangs.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I would've snapped it up, but the guy hasn't returned any calls, nor is he answering his phone- for the past week and a half. I would've kept the stock drive train.

C'est la vie. :|

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Nikkormat wrote:The barn doors are worth that to the right person. And it would be a good compliment to the panel in your collection. Two rare waggies and two custom trucks? Sounds like a plan to me.
I like the way you think. I was thinking about that four door panel and how'd I'd drive it daily, the mods I'd make to it. There's a huge volume of 70's era rigs locally to source newer parts off of- but 1,000 bucks to ship puts the idea out of my budget. I do like the 63-65 waggies the best.

Topic author
66stepside

T-5 Manual Transmission?

Post by 66stepside »

That barn door waggie was a trolling scam of some sort.

I missed this local cherokee 4 door, T150, 360 by a day. It sold in two days.

The exterior shots were on the ad. The interior shot were sent by the owner via email.

Apparently I am in the market for a manual cherokee 4 door, or manual waggie mostly mated to a 6 cyl. Talk about a needle in a haystack!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

That Cherokee has potential... but the FSJs never got the T-150. If it's '80-up and a 360 it has a T-177 (T-178? I can never keep those straight) 4-speed.

Interesting that the floors are beige and the exterior is red. Bed liner?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.