Grand Wagoneer 4cyl Diesel Research

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

TrenchFoot

Re: Grand Wagoneer 4cyl Diesel Research

Post by TrenchFoot »

JeepinPete wrote:Really, the only thing that works against the Isuzu right now is the lack of readily available adapters.
I've been staying out of the 4BT vs 4BD1 debate but have to ask, how big of a deal are the fitment issues with the Isuzu? Sounds like they're tall enough that you need a sizable lift to stay above the front axle. And there's clearance issues between the turbo and steering shaft?

Overall, the 4BD1 sounds like a good choice due to cost, availability, serviceability, and power. Solve the issues with fitment and adapters and you've got a good powerplant (for those of us outside California).
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.

JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

The Isuzu is a bit shorter in height than a Cummins. They fit very well in a FSJ engine bay. It does get tight on the driver's side of the engine. You will need to use hydraboost brakes. Steering in no issue. The 4BD1T oil pan works fine. The 4BD2T has a different oil pan which will cause trouble. It can be modified or replaced with a 4BD1t pan. The oil filters are huge, and can interfere with the front driveshaft. Remote oil filters are routinely used.
Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ :D
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

thedude7238

Post by thedude7238 »

Are adaptors for a 4bd1t really that hard to find? I have a 4bd1t adapted to a GM T400 transmission since 1986. As of right now it sits in a 1969 Chev truck, but just recently began hunting a good rolling chasis Grand Wagoneer. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is doing this swap. Would love to see some builds of this swap.

Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

Here is one that essentially turns the isuzu into the back end of a cummins. I am using a 47 RH. You use the stock cummins to tranny adapter, flexplate, and starter.

87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

thedude7238

Post by thedude7238 »

when you say use your stock starter... do you mean a stock cummings starter? or stock jeep starter? Just found a really straight, rust free full size cherokee (1982). There is no engine in it, tranny and transfer case are there. it's a mopar 727 transmission. I currently have a 4bd1t bolted to a 2wd th400, trying to decide if i should find a 4wd output shaft and transfer case, or adapt it to the mopar 727? thoughts?

ElkyRacer

Post by ElkyRacer »

Mr. Goatman wrote:Here is one that essentially turns the isuzu into the back end of a cummins. I am using a 47 RH. You use the stock cummins to tranny adapter, flexplate, and starter.

Who makes that kit? Price? Can't just leave us hanging like that man!

ElkyRacer

Post by ElkyRacer »

That the guy on 4bt.com that's been questionable about getting stuff shipped out?

Another annoying signature ad from the smartest toaster on the planet

Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

Yep, that's the one. I read all that stuff but due to lack of other options I went ahead and ordered. I heard nothing from him for WEEKS! I was beginning to think my money was gone. But, it did show up. He is a really nice guy on the phone (when he answers) and will talk with you and help with all kinds of info. Bottom line.... don't order from him if your in a hurry but I think he ultimately comes through.
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

ElkyRacer

Post by ElkyRacer »

Good deal. I've dealt with people like that before and have been used to not getting in a hurry for specialty parts. Glad to see he delivered tho!

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I know this thread is old but I wanted to throw a different diesel option I saw:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-3-0-Diesel- ... 59&vxp=mtr
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I had the 2.8 VM Motori engine in a KJ. It had great power and economy. However, I feel there were too many quality control problems with that motor (head gaskets, EGR valves, glow plugs breaking and taking out the motor, engine oil pressure issues, weird computer programming: engine and transmission thought they were both bus master, engines with sand in the block, etc). Hope the Ram 3.0 from VM is better. One could also hold out a year or two for a wrecked 5.0 Cummins Tundra if they had the budget, the time to wait, and did not mind dealing with the computerized stuff.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

^I think that 5.0L Cummins is going to be an awesome engine. Over 300 HP and 500 ft-lbs of torque rated at ~25mpg in a full size 1/2 ton pickup. With minor tuning you could probably get around 30mpg out of it without killing your power numbers.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Pablo wrote:I had the 2.8 VM Motori engine in a KJ. It had great power and economy. However, I feel there were too many quality control problems with that motor (head gaskets, EGR valves, glow plugs breaking and taking out the motor, engine oil pressure issues, weird computer programming: engine and transmission thought they were both bus master, engines with sand in the block, etc). Hope the Ram 3.0 from VM is better. One could also hold out a year or two for a wrecked 5.0 Cummins Tundra if they had the budget, the time to wait, and did not mind dealing with the computerized stuff.
You mean 5.0L Cummins Nissan? They are the ones that designed the engine with Cummins and have had test mules out for well over a year testing. There have been rumors of Toyota using it, but nothing concrete. While Nissan using it is well known as they have flat out said the new Titan will use it. Toyota being able to use it will depend on if Nissan has exclusive rights to use it. Similar to how Ram has exclusive rights for a light duty pickup with the 6BT.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Stuka wrote:
Pablo wrote:I had the 2.8 VM Motori engine in a KJ. It had great power and economy. However, I feel there were too many quality control problems with that motor (head gaskets, EGR valves, glow plugs breaking and taking out the motor, engine oil pressure issues, weird computer programming: engine and transmission thought they were both bus master, engines with sand in the block, etc). Hope the Ram 3.0 from VM is better. One could also hold out a year or two for a wrecked 5.0 Cummins Tundra if they had the budget, the time to wait, and did not mind dealing with the computerized stuff.
You mean 5.0L Cummins Nissan? They are the ones that designed the engine with Cummins and have had test mules out for well over a year testing. There have been rumors of Toyota using it, but nothing concrete. While Nissan using it is well known as they have flat out said the new Titan will use it. Toyota being able to use it will depend on if Nissan has exclusive rights to use it. Similar to how Ram has exclusive rights for a light duty pickup with the 6BT.
I remembered an article about Toyota coming out with one a year ago, but nothing has been written since about it.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)