Alternator alignment

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ZiRiu

Alternator alignment

Post by ZiRiu »

I recently had an issue with my battery going dead overnight. I got the battery checked out and it tested as completely dead so had that replaced under warranty, battery dead next morning. Pulled every fuse and it still dies. Took the alternator off and had it tested and it had a bad diode or voltage regulator which was draining the battery with the key off.

That should be an easy fix so I bought a new alternator and had the store put my old dual belt pulley on. When I got home to put it on the bottom sliding bracket was about 1mm too big to line up with the bolt hole on the new alternator. I took a sander too it for a few minutes and shaved it a little so now it bolts up perfectly in the engine but when I put the belt on and tightened everything up I noticed the pulley is ever so slightly off of alignment.

Would it be wise to bend the bracket a little so it lines up or is this an issue with the new alternator? Maybe I lost a washer somewhere?
1981 Wagoneer

360, TF727, NP-219 T-Case, D44 front, AMC 20 rear.

Renodemona

Re: Alternator alignment

Post by Renodemona »

Probably had some flex in the bracket or something if it has been there a long time. I would think a little washer would be ok. Sometimes the new parts aren't EXACT matches (new forms, really old castings, whatever). I wouldn't bend the bracket per se but maybe shim it a bit if you need to.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
ZiRiu

Re: Alternator alignment

Post by ZiRiu »

Where would you shim it? It's sort of bent/flexed to where the pulley is turned towards the crank and water pump slightly maybe due to belt tension or torque.
1981 Wagoneer

360, TF727, NP-219 T-Case, D44 front, AMC 20 rear.