68 Gladiator-Cummins+6spd, some 1 ton fun!

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

ross80truck
Vendor

Re: 68 Gladiator-Cummins+6spd, some 1 ton fun!

Post by ross80truck »

Mudbull wrote:
I wish i could show/tell more progress but im in the final three week push before im (finally) out of college with my engineering degree. Im not sure of the next time ill be down, but ill have a full week down home to work on the truck before i start my job full time.
I agree with Resbum. Get the finals and graduation out of the way, then play. I graduated in 04 with a Mechanical Engineering degree and I totally understand where you are at right now. Also, congratulations on already having a job lined out. I know the job market is still pretty tough out there right now.
Priorities
1. God
2. Wife ( Sarah )
3. Children ( Lane & Dirk )
4. Work
5. Jeep

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!

85 Wagoneer, 6bt, NV4500, Black Box, NP205, D60 front, Corp 14 rear http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1446
76 Cherokee Chief - Cheap Build - SOLD http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2605
81 Jeep Scrambler http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 301#p97301

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Thanks a lot guys! Im a pessimist, so i wont believe it until that last grade is in and all the paperwork is finished for graduation. Ive been interning at an industrial pump vendor (where ill be working) for almost a year now, im very excited to start there and stop driving 90+ miles a day on the days i work.

EDIT: I may not have a chance to work on the truck, but my dad is still moving along on the bodywork, both battery trays in. Moving onto the intercooler mounting, and the hydraulic clutch setup (stock vs aftermarket master: thoughts?)
Last edited by Mudbull on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins
6spd, D60 Front, D80 Rear

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Nice
Originally Posted by Resbum
"What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 290#p18290

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Thanks, im glad they could fit over there...I did have a free afternoon today, so i went to a you-pull-it yard and picked up: BMW condenser (22x18x1) Neon condenser (26x13x3/4) and a Ford Taurus fan (hoping to run two, only got one for now), hopefully theyll all fit. I couldnt find a radiator in the proper dimensions, so i think were going to cut a few rows out of the aluminum rad and tig it back together
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Mudbull wrote: EDIT: I may not have a chance to work on the truck, but my dad is still moving along on the bodywork, both battery trays in. Moving onto the intercooler mounting, and the hydraulic clutch setup (stock vs aftermarket master: thoughts?)
I like this second picture you put in. Could you post another one from the front so I can get an idea of how close to the hood hinge and turbo the firewall battery sits?

Thanks. Resbum
"What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 290#p18290

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

My dad saw your post and emailed me this picture-a bit more vertical and 180deg around...let us know if you want a different angle of it still:

He also sent over the rough fitment of the intercooler and radiator, looks like well only need to cut the side tanks a bit to use the rad. Ive been trying to daydream about how to cram two a/c compressors in there still, havent had any major breakthroughs being 140mi away from the truck...

Last edited by Mudbull on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Mudbull wrote:My dad saw your post and emailed me this picture-a bit more vertical and 180deg around...let us know if you want a different angle of it still:

He also sent over the rough fitment of the intercooler ... Ive been trying to daydream about how to cram two a/c compressors in there ...
Thank your dad for me. I hate to ask, but what would really help me is a picture from the front, with the camera just above the grill pointed straight back at the firewall, centered on the firewall battery. I need something that gives a good perspective of side clearances, and my eyes just aren't seeing it from the overhead shoots. Thanks.

You said "... cram two compressors...". Two compressors or condensers? I browsed your thread and saw the two condensers but missed what they're both for. If it's condensers, is one of them for the air-to-water aftercooler? If it's compressors, I've been thinking of running my York 210 off a v-belt to the old engine fan pulley. Make a bracket to mount it that attaches to some of the front gear housing and intake manifold bolts. On your engine it would sit between the oil filler neck and air-to-water cooler, up high. Somewhere in that general area.

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Resbum wrote: Thank your dad for me. I hate to ask, but what would really help me is a picture from the front, with the camera just above the grill pointed straight back at the firewall, centered on the firewall battery. I need something that gives a good perspective of side clearances, and my eyes just aren't seeing it from the overhead shoots. Thanks.

You said "... cram two compressors...". Two compressors or condensers? I browsed your thread and saw the two condensers but missed what they're both for. If it's condensers, is one of them for the air-to-water aftercooler? If it's compressors, I've been thinking of running my York 210 off a v-belt to the old engine fan pulley. Make a bracket to mount it that attaches to some of the front gear housing and intake manifold bolts. On your engine it would sit between the oil filler neck and air-to-water cooler, up high. Somewhere in that general area.
Hes taking a picture today of some head on stuff, the overhead shots were just what he had on the computer last night (our shop is ~20min away from home).

Your actually correct on both assumptions, the two condensers are for the A/C and as a heat exchanger for the water to air intercooler; the one with a larger volume ill use as the heat exchanger. As far as the compressors go: the stock A/C compressor used to sit in a recessed section in the frame, when we moved the engine 7" back the compressor was hitting the frame rail and crossmember that goes under the oil pan. I am also going to run an on board air system (was thinking york, but looking at Sanden for availability in junkyards), so i need to find two locations for the compressors in this already cramped engine compartment. Up by the oil filler was one of the spots i was thinking of, another below that. The one down low i would like to make as a CCW running compressor soi can flip it out over the steering box, facing the engine.
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

OK. Got it.

haha yep, you are going to get cramped in there.

Thanks for getting pictures for me. My shop is about 10 minutes away from my house, so I understand. At his convenience.

Resbum

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

I went back and swapped out the intercooler picture, its going to be more horizontal and forward for better tire clearance.

Heres the rear battery tray shot:
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Perfect. That's exactly want I needed. Thank you.

ross80truck
Vendor

Post by ross80truck »

I love what you did with the inner fenders. I was thinking of doing the same thing. I really like how it is turning out. Keep it up.
Priorities
1. God
2. Wife ( Sarah )
3. Children ( Lane & Dirk )
4. Work
5. Jeep

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!

85 Wagoneer, 6bt, NV4500, Black Box, NP205, D60 front, Corp 14 rear http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1446
76 Cherokee Chief - Cheap Build - SOLD http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2605
81 Jeep Scrambler http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 301#p97301

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Thanks Guys! The problem with using the Rams frame is that the shock towers are a lot higher due to the coilovers, otherwise the batteries could be closer/ oriented the same. The next thing i think to get will have to be the a/c heater assembly, i plan on wandering the you-pull-it yard to find a small modern box out of a honda or something that will work. That, and a second compressor as stated before and we should have all the major components, then just to connect them all! haha
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Updates from back home:

Intercooler is in the fender now, fitting the steering column, my dad is retrofitting a chrysler A body column to the stock so we can get new turn signal, flasher wiring, and the ability to lock the column...unless anyone has a source for aftermarket electrical components:

And heres another shot of clearances...I think my best shot of putting an ac compressor in is on the passanger side, almost where it would be stock in the frame recessing, running an aux. belt from the alternator to move it forward. The intercooler takes up more space then i thought on the drivers side, but up high on either side of the engine may be where the other compressor could go. Any thoughts/Ideas-im always open to them/criticism...
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Man, the more I look the more I see how cramped you're getting.

Sounds like a good idea trying to fit a compressor back into the original area. Maybe run the belt to the old fan pulley just to get it out of the way and not suck a loose shirt sleeve into it some day.

Here's another thought I'm sure you guys have kicked around. Instead of another AC compressor for your on-board air buy one of the electrical compressors made for the job. Notch/lower the top of the drivers inner fender and mount it there. For that matter, you could mount an electrical compressor just about anywhere you want.

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

I used to have a set of Wolo train horns and a compressor on my Ram, the recharge time was horrible for the little 1.5gal tank-that, plus its duty cycle and cost are why id like to retrofit an ac compressor instead...Ill make it fit one way or another
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

My dad finished modifying an old Chrysler A-body steering column we had to work in the truck and bolt up to the firewall. The internal electric components are more readily available then the truck, the key is on the column, and the column locks. I plan on putting a pull chord for the engine shutoff where the key used to be (i will be able to park, turn off the ignition/lock the column, and leave the engine running without worry of someone stealing my truck while im away).

68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

Nice. That will be nice for cold weather.

Topic author
Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Well heres some work done in the last few days, not much to show as usual but things are happening.

I checked the endplay on the main and countershaft, the main changed by .020" with just new bearings. hopefully we can assemble that jigsaw puzzle tomorrow.

While waiting for a second set of hands to handle the heavy gears/case ive been trying to fab mounts for my OBA setup. I think a york would fit better, but i think i like the RV2 specs more. It will be very close to the hood, we may need to make a bulge in the hood, but im all for form fits function; it wouldnt bother me. The a/c compressor i think will be placed by the IP and will have to have a second serpentine setup offset from the idler to line up...

Im hoping a few big steps will be made in the next couple days with the installation of the trans and the completion of the crossmember, and we'll see if the transfer case can shift or if I screwed up on the rebuild a year ago and it needs to be torn apart...
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

I'm really interested in seeing the results of the compressor install.