88 XJ question

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
goldhammer

88 XJ question

Post by goldhammer »

Not a big fan of XJ sites---My 88's horn is not working and I think they run a relay on the fool thing. The Haynes and Chilton books don't get that deep in the wiring. Any one have a pic of the location of that relay if it exists? Once I find it, then I can start figuring out where/what I need to fix. Sure needed that thing the other day for an idiot that got their license out of a hundred year of box of Cracker Jacks.

Thanks.
1981 Cherokee W/T, custom winch bumper and deer strainer, 360/T18/208, Warn 8274
1988Cherokee, 3" Rancho lift, custom bumpers, sliders/steps, roof rack, custom camo paint and headliner, Warn 9500

Member Wolfpack 4x4's, region 5, PNW4WDA
OHV Representative, BLM John Day/Snake RAC

bigun

Re: 88 XJ question

Post by bigun »

Art I hope this helps ever thing I found says it's mounted on the fuse box

Link to fuse box
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Ele ... cation.htm

http://jeep-manual.ru/index.php?page=196
84-91
wiring diagram
http://jeep-manual.ru/index.php?page=196

your horn relay is (i beleive on yours) in fuse box to left of your clutch pdl. Check with Blue xj---- he has the info on renix era jeeps. your wire at the top of your col. is unlikely to be the problem, although not impossable. If you have a tilt col. than the area that moves could have flexed the wires enough to cause a prob. You know that your horn works when given 12 volts, so work backwards from there checking for any problems. Also check the multi pin conn. on top of the steering col. it may be loose. It is the conn. between the steering col. and the wire harness to the body--Contains wiring for horn,turn sig. emg. flashers etc. You can also check the condition of the contacts under the steering wheel, given the age of your jeep they could be worn out, or just dirty. Easy fix!!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

NAXJA is a wealth of information. So much so that you can probably just do a search and find your info. Helped me a lot when I had to get rid of the bendix brakes on our old '89.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
goldhammer

Post by goldhammer »

Found what I needed between here and Jeep Forum. Relay is a white one hanging by the fuse box under the dash. Little 3 blade sucker. Replaced it and cleaned the contacts on the horn pad and horn itself and all good now. Thanks guys.
1981 Cherokee W/T, custom winch bumper and deer strainer, 360/T18/208, Warn 8274
1988Cherokee, 3" Rancho lift, custom bumpers, sliders/steps, roof rack, custom camo paint and headliner, Warn 9500

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

They hang upside down and tend to collect rainwater and brakefluid (from the clutch master)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
goldhammer

Post by goldhammer »

Mine is an auto, so no clutch master, and my w/shield leak not quite that bad. This one is inside the rig... :D