Ignition control module matching wires?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Gnmtl72

Ignition control module matching wires?

Post by Gnmtl72 »

Hi guys, running into starting troubles. 79 J10 360. Engine is turning over, I can smell gas after trying to start for a minute so I don’t believe fuel is the issue. I wondered if the Ignition control module was maybe causing the issue, so I went to town and got another. The new one has the different wires in a different sequence tho, and it didn’t seem to fix my problem. (The red/white for the two prong plug is on the opposite side, all the wires for the four prong are in a different order) Is there a chance I got the wrong module? Or is that normal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tgreese

Re: Ignition control module matching wires?

Post by tgreese »

The colors are the main thing to look at. They must be in the same order and same end in the plugs. How they come out of the module is not important.

What part did you buy? Brand? Part number?
Last edited by tgreese on Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Look here -

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jee ... (icm),7172

Of these, I would get the LX203, not the LX203T (the cheap version). Or the NAPA (Eichlin) part. Look at the wire locations in the plugs on any of these pictures.

I strongly suggest you read about the ignition system and follow the diagnostic flow chart in the '79 TSM, free to read and download at the Tom Collins site. It will show you the plug layout for the vehicle side of the plug. Then match that to the wire colors coming out of your replacement module. It has step-by-step procedures for diagnosis and repair of a no-start condition.

How much have you worked on cars? Throwing parts at a problem is nearly always the wrong approach. Electrical parts are generally NOT RETURNABLE. The parts store will not allow you to buy the part, use it to test for the problem, and then return it for a refund. Typically they only allow exchange defective FOR THE SAME PART.

Suggest you put your location in your profile or signature file.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Gnmtl72

Post by Gnmtl72 »

Ok the wire colors do match on the plug side. Thank you for the advice