My 1990 Baltic Blue Grand Wagoneer Build Thread

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Kartboy1234

My 1990 Baltic Blue Grand Wagoneer Build Thread

Post by Kartboy1234 »

Hey everyone. I purchased a 1990 Grand Wagoneer in Dark Baltic Blue over tan/sand interior in the middle of December. I bought it sight unseen after a few too many beers one night. Surprisingly it did show up on a truck about a week later but thats when I started find the issues. Buyer beware and all of that. Nothing too crazy bad, just maybe hyped up nicer than it was.

Basics: 198,000 miles on it, was running poorly and leaking from everywhere. On the first tank of gas I averaged 3.6 MPG, so something was seriously wrong, also it felt like the rear brakes werent working.

Luckily when I bought the jeep it came with a Howell EFI kit which hadnt been installed yet. So over christmas I installed the EFI, can answer questions on that if needed. I then bought the CARB legal upgrade kit to make it easier to get through California smog.

I hadnt wanted to spend money on the jeep until I could get it registered first. So I finally was able to get it through smog with a new CARB legal Cat in early April. So now that the car is legal im moving onto the new projects. I have all new stock ride height springs on their way, new shocks, going to order new carpet and have a shop who will redo the seats for a very reasonable price.

What ive done so far. Howell EFI install, New CAT, Right rear wheel bearing, transmission gasket x 2, Rear Main seal and oil pan gasket, Vacuumed down AC and recharged with an R12 equivalent and surprisingly the system does work, All new brakes all around.

Current situation: Today I decided to remove the seats and interior trim and carpet to prep it for the new interior. That was going fine until I removed the carpet. I was expecting a bit of rust but what I found is a lot more than what I was expecting. Pics will be in the next post

Topic author
Kartboy1234

Re: My 1990 Baltic Blue Grand Wagoneer Build Thread

Post by Kartboy1234 »

Here are some random pictures. Pictures of the jeep, painted oil pan, seats and interior. Ripping out the interior ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kartboy1234

Post by Kartboy1234 »

Found a bunch of rust under the carpet. So ordered new front floor pans and will learn how to replace them. Ordering wire wheels and will start stripping rust and junk in the cargo area.

Found this defect sticker under the carpet in the rear. ImageImageImageImage

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Well, now you know what the defect sticker was for! :-bd

Still looks like a viable candidate regardless. Seen your posts on Fakebook's GW page as well. Welcome to the forum!
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Kartboy1234

Post by Kartboy1234 »

dodgerammit wrote:Well, now you know what the defect sticker was for! :-bd

Still looks like a viable candidate regardless. Seen your posts on Fakebook's GW page as well. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you very much. Yea I've been posting there because it's easy but figured I should start a build thread.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Honestly a pretty solid truck, if you already have it driving, AND passed CA emissions. The rust you have here is minimal, so encouraged you got really lucky with that "hold my beer - watch this" move.
Will be following :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
Kartboy1234

Post by Kartboy1234 »

devildog80 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:14 pm Honestly a pretty solid truck, if you already have it driving, AND passed CA emissions. The rust you have here is minimal, so encouraged you got really lucky with that "hold my beer - watch this" move.
Will be following :)
Yep got it through CA smog, runs and drives well. So the rust is a curve ball but I have new floor pans showing up this week and I will start grinding out rust this weekend. I will order new carpet tonight and get it on the way.

Topic author
Kartboy1234

Post by Kartboy1234 »

I have my springs in, 2 rears from Crown and 2 fronts from Dorman 97-400 7 leafs. Ordered my carpet with the mass backing in Almond. So hopefully that comes soon enough

I also ordered some plaid fabric samples for the center sections of the seats. Looking to do something vaguely like the seats pictured below.

Topic author
Kartboy1234

Post by Kartboy1234 »

PicturesImageImageImageImageImage