Firewall adhesive

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
melford72

Firewall adhesive

Post by melford72 »

I want to afix a data tag back to the firewall of my truck after paint. There are a bunch of products from 3M et al. that claim they will do the trick. But wanted to ask what you’ve all had experience with. It can get hot under hood and I don’t want the adhesive to melt off.

Any experience and/or advice?
70 1414x
5.3 LMG/4L60e/Dana 20
Dana 44s front and rear with 3.73s and discs

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

Srdayflyer

Re: Firewall adhesive

Post by Srdayflyer »

clean the area you want to install to bare metal, scotch brite the back of the vin tag and use black high temp RTV you will be hard pressed to pull it off and if you have a FIRE under the hood hot enough to have the data plate fall off, well you wont have to worry about whats left of your rig.

tgreese

Re: Firewall adhesive

Post by tgreese »

Pretty sure the original foil tags were held with a flexible cement like Goodyear Pliobond. Looks like Goodyear has stopped making it and sold the rights, but it's still available if you search for the name. Walthers Goo is one variant ... sold at hobby stores long ago. You could likely use cement for formica countertops instead. "Barge" also comes highly recommended.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/pliobond-adhesives/

I'm sure that black RTV would work too... but the original foil tags used something like Pliobond.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.