AMX

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Mrpatatomoto

Re: AMX

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

Shagoneer wrote:Im not trying to wind anyone up. I"m genuinely saving up money to buy either a 1970 or 1974 AMX to restore, I haven't decided which yet because the 1970 has a more Muscle car looks to it whereas the 1974 looks like the bastard child of a muscle car and an Italian sports car.
I prefer the 74 body style, the 70 looks like a elongated pinto to me... As long as you make the kid work on it with you and its not just a "here ya go, have fun" he will have some pride in it and try not to wreck it or get it stolen. At least that's the experience I had in high school, Kids that got handed a car went through multiple and the kids that got fixer uppers took care of them.
1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

cone

Post by cone »

Elongated pinto? I don't see it but I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

dueselfabrication

Post by dueselfabrication »

I'm a little late to the game, but after reading the comments about building a kid a muscle car, why not build everything, including the 390 (wasn't that the usual AMX motor?) but toss an old 258 under the hood for the first couple years of drivers ed'?

I'm imagining a birthday unveiling. Your nephew having helped on all parts of the restoration, you made him stop for the final couple weeks while you finished everything, and everyone is so proud. Uncle Harmine is there, he opens a beer and motions for the kid to crack the hood. "Sure thing!" Your nephew says, and races to the front, hunches and pops up the hood.
[immediate record scratch to silence]
Uncle H. is a little taken aback... struggling to find something nice to say. Maybe have the good motor in the truck, under a tarp. Strike a deal, maybe he has to achieve improvement on a hot lap time to prove he can hande the big motor. Then unveil a 304, or a tired 360.

I'm just spitballing ideas on a stale thread here.
-Jeff
2006 LJ - spacers, 33's, pocket flairs, dents, and too much courage
1973 Wagoneer - still not sure why, but since it's here it's going to be cool.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I kinda like that idea actually. Only problem would be the cost of buying and refurbishing multiple engines. My nephew would be pissed with a capital P, but if I'm spending the money to build him car he can deal with it
In the market for a new FSJ

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Teach him to respect the killing power of an automobile, and he will be safe in anything. Fail to do that, and he will be unsafe in a Yugo running on two cylinders...

dueselfabrication

Post by dueselfabrication »

Maybe I was a little over zealous with my idea. Build one good motor, and just do a scrap yard motor with a 2 barrel carb for the training, maybe?
-Jeff
2006 LJ - spacers, 33's, pocket flairs, dents, and too much courage
1973 Wagoneer - still not sure why, but since it's here it's going to be cool.

Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

Sounds to me like you guys think 16 year olds are irresponsible... Im 16 :o Haha, I guess you all have a point though. I definitely think he should help you build it. If someone gave me a sick muscle car right now, I'd love it to death! Having said that, I would probably be more careful with it if I had put some work into it myself. I think it would be good for him to realize how much time and work was put into the car, and then taking care of it shouldn't be an issue. Ha, thats like my j10. My dad said I could have ot if I got it running and I was pumped up, picturing myself nailing some mudholes. But now that I have so much time and money invested in it, I get worked up when somebody breathes on it wrong! (its currently still a rusty pile, but its MINE) I'll still take it off road, ill juzt be more careful knowing what it took to get it to that point. Keep us updated on this muscle car :-bd
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

Shagoneer wrote:I kinda like that idea actually. Only problem would be the cost of buying and refurbishing multiple engines.
Hey, wait a minute now. What difference could a $1000 junkyard 4.0 possibly make in the grand scheme of things? Surely, his feelings are worth an extra thousand dollars to you.

You know what - we are on the wrong track. That 4.0 won't impress his buddies at all! Better step up to the plate and give him a full-house 401. Throw a couple of turbos on it just in case someone in his Social Studies class starts bragging about his Gallardo. After all, it really takes a minimum of 600 horsepower to have a successful social life. When I was in school, it was only about 350 horsepower, but of course my friends stopped talking to me once daddy took away the Countach.

Shagoneer wrote:My nephew would be pissed with a capital P
The poor little guy. I bet he can taste the tears already. How about you give him a bus pass and a box of tissues. A lesson in humility will benefit him far more than a car ever could.

Sorry, man, but I am just not on board. However, I did find you a builder. This looks like a real good project!

Here's the ad: http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3976621145.html

Priced right, too. Practically a bargain! The seller obviously takes good care of his machinery. He'll even include the crack pipe under the seat at no extra charge.

Here's plan B. Go ahead and give him an AMX, but one you won't have to invest your life savings in. If he wrecks this, he'll probably walk away.

Now, all teasing aside, how serious and how ready are you?

You said that you are currently saving money for the purchase of a builder. That suggests that at this time, you are not yet financially able to buy a $2000-5000 project car. Is that correct?

Now, once you buy that car, you will have to spend tens of thousands of your own dollars to restore the car. Since you are still saving up for the initial purchase, have you determined yet where the cash to actually build the car is coming from?

Aside from money, this project will require untold hours of your own labor. This will have a serious cost on your own social life, your hobbies, and possibly your relationships with other people, including your marriage. Are you prepared to make those sacrifices so that your nephew can appear more wealthy than he is to people who are only impressed by material wealth?

All this work - and there will be a lot of it - will have to be done in an appropriate workshop. Do you have such a facility available to you?

Assuming all of the above falls together, you'll have written hundreds of checks and busted your own knuckles hour after hour, month after month, year after year. Are you really prepared to give that away to a spoiled child just to bolster his social standing among other spoiled children for a period of two school years?

Finally, be honest with yourself. Even if you are willing and able to spend the time and money, do you really believe that a gift of a handbuilt, collectible musclecar is the best investment you could make in the future of this child?

We are some time away from fruition, so you have plenty of opportunity to think about this adventure.
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

I'd feel lucky to have somebody pay for the parts on my truck so I'd make him EARN the money he puts into the car. My j20 is 100% out of my pocket and everything will be (other than the occasional b-day or Christmas money) and by doing that I'm making it MY vehicle. I don't let anybody, even my parents, pay for stuff for my vehicles because then there can be that time when everything can be taken away from me because they paid for it. I believe in having MY stuff made from MY money. I work hard to get the money to put into my truck. So don't give it to him. Make him notice it takes blood sweat and tears to have something to put blood sweat and tears into. Just my opinion, but this is coming from a 14 year old who worked by butt off for a rusty old wagoneer when I was 12 :D
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

When I was 16 I got married (just before my 17th birthday), had 3 kids, owned my first house outright by 21 (then shortly after lost it all to the ex)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

When I was 16 my parents had already totalled 2 vehicles I had purchased and fixed up with money I had from summer jobs. Both of which they refused to replace and forced me to buy my own car a third time, really made me mad when I had to drive their car once and had an accident and I was expected to pay to fix their car when they refused to do anything about either of mine.

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I'm regards to Monohue's remarks about financing the project
I am currently a Junior in college and I have already had a few job offers for when I graduate. I am saving money right now because I am a burger flipping college student, in 2 years I will be working for a company entitled ZiaSat in Albuquerque NM making enough to finance this hobby as I dont have a family or anyone dependent on me. My bills will be rent for a cheap apartment, utilities, phone, gas, insurance, and thats it. Over the course of 8 years I will be more than able to finance a restoration.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Shagoneer wrote:I'm regards to Monohue's remarks about financing the project
I am currently a Junior in college and I have already had a few job offers for when I graduate. I am saving money right now because I am a burger flipping college student, in 2 years I will be working for a company entitled ZiaSat in Albuquerque NM making enough to finance this hobby as I dont have a family or anyone dependent on me. My bills will be rent for a cheap apartment, utilities, phone, gas, insurance, and thats it. Over the course of 8 years I will be more than able to finance a restoration.
One can dream. I wish you all the luck in making that happen.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

yjsquareguy

Post by yjsquareguy »

Good luck. Life happens whether we plan it or not. :)

Rob
1989 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360
2007 JK 2dr Rubicon. 3.8L
2005 Grand Cherokee. 5.7 Hemi
Rob
rob.fischer@matanzasjeepclub.com

2007 JK Rubicon
2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7L
1989 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

yjsquareguy wrote:Good luck. Life happens whether we plan it or not. :)
very true

Also this add is a little more up my alley, no needles left under the seats or anything, plus Im less likely to get shot while picking it up
http://northernwi.craigslist.org/cto/4068940780.html