Tires

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
ChiefBigB

Tires

Post by ChiefBigB »

Can anyone recommend a good AT tire that is both cheap and quality? Thanks.

REDONE

Re: Tires

Post by REDONE »

BFG AT KO, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, Dakota Definity AT2 (LT, not P), General Grabber AT2...
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Kumho Road Venture AT's are great tires. Very cheap, but I was very happy with them. They get good reviews on Tire Rack as well. I ran them on road, dirt, and a whole lot of snow. Did everything I wanted very well. And they will be way cheaper than any American or French tire.

Now I am a huge "Buy American" guy, but sometimes you just can't justify the cost. And I won't buy french (BFG) tires just because I don't like the french or BFG/Michellin :P

For American, I love Coopers. One of the last Independent American Tire manufacturers, and they make great quality tires. For AT's they have the AT3 (Less aggressive, awesome in the snow, I own a set of these currently). They also have the S/T MAXX, which is kind of a cross between a mud tire and an AT. I have owned these previously and liked them a lot.

But if cost is a big issue, I say go with these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

For the coolers I have a set of the TAP on my truck, I really like them. I had pro comp ExAt, great tire, really pricey and are directional. So do some homework and you will not be disappointed.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

pyro

Post by pyro »

Bfg at hands down!
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I am running Goodyear Wranglers...good tire, smooth ride:)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

theonetruegreg

Post by theonetruegreg »

I run the DuraTracs Wranglers. Been good in dirt and mud, decent on slick rocks. Quite nice on the road, far quieter than expected. Can't speak to the life of them or snow yet, though.

dueselfabrication

Post by dueselfabrication »

I have had a set of Yokohama Geolanders on my LJ for about 3 years now, and have been very happy with their performance.
They were cheaper than the BFG's I wanted at the time, and the depth of tread was about the same. I've wheeled them quite a bit and they are a fine AT so long as it isn't too thick of mud. They also were head and shoulders above my old MT's in the snow and wet.
-Jeff
2006 LJ - spacers, 33's, pocket flairs, dents, and too much courage
1973 Wagoneer - still not sure why, but since it's here it's going to be cool.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

HowardT64 wrote:I am running Goodyear Wranglers...good tire, smooth ride:)
Which ones? Pretty much all Goodyear truck tires are Wranglers, past that there's a bunch of different styles, including the Duratrac that I mentioned (and currently lust over for my trucks next rollers), as well as the MTR Kevlar like Blake runs on the super Honcho, the Wrangler Radial that's an OEM highway tire, the Wrangler AT that looks a lot like the old Dean Coyote, the Wrangler Authority that looks like ProComp rip-off for Walmart, etc.

I've been watching tire prices for a couple months now and posted up what's currently cheap. I like Cooper Tires, especially since most tires are Coopers (Mickey Thompson, Dean, Difinity, Dick Cepek, Marathon), but right now Coopers are commanding a premium. I like Big O Tires too, but right now they're also commanding a premium. ProComps used to be competitively priced years ago but now they must think they're made of platinum infused rubber. I know prices can vary depending on where you live but I've been watching the prices specifically in Seattle, Salt Lake City and Denver. My criteria I've been looking at is 33x12.5R15 and I've ruled out anything over $200 a tire. I've also considered availability of replacements, since I hate mismatched tires. If I have a massive failure on an adventure I want to be able to get the same tire as a replacement.

I don't like BFG because of a past experience with them, but the AT-KO has been around forever and isn't going anywhere. It's a well designed tire that's copied a lot which speaks to it's design. Also, just about everyone carries it and no matter what town your in, you're more likely to find a replacement in the BFG AT-KO in your size than any other tire I can think of.

The Goodyear Duratrac I see all over the place. The folks I know with this tire love it off road and on and they all seem to be wearing really good. Discount Tire, Goodyear Centers, Big O, and 4wheelparts all stock this tire, so if you can find one of these stores, you can probably get a replacement no more than a day out if not on the shelf.

Definity Dakota AT2 is a Cooper Tire, USA made, and every Pepboys I've been in between Denver and Seattle had a set of 31s and 33 on the shelf when I walked through the tire racks. It's got good reviews if you get the LT version of the tire. If you blow one up and can find a Pepboys, you can get a replacement

General Grabber AT2 I have no first hand experience with, but General Tires is making some power plays in the tire world. Fulsizjeep ran a set of their super cool racing tires in Ouray last year and General isn't messing around. Their logo on the racing tires is bright freekin red, they're running these tires on actual race trucks and slapping all the Baja racing tire makers in the face. I don't know what the end game is for them, but they're making moves to put themselves up there as a premium tire maker. Might be smart to get their tires now while they're cheap, or it might not. They might get bought out or something.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

We have been running ProComp ATs, 31x10.5x15 on Phoebe for 16 months and so far pleased with performance on the road dry, wet, snow, ice and some offroad use on mountain and desert 2 track trails. We purchased them during a buy 3 get one free sale at BJs Offroad about this time 2 years ago and was also pleased with pricing.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-634.htm

On 5" lift
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

WOW!! nice rig!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Thanks Howard. We had a LOT of help. 8-)
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=122
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I'm on the outside edge with mine. I like the Big O Trailcutter tires. (I stole the pic) 30,000 on mine so far (33/9.50/15) and 1/2 tread left still. I bought them second hand. Made by Cooper I think
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by carnuck on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

E-rated Cooper Discoverers on my Powerstroke. Excellent tires, but don't make them for 15s. Had Yokohama Geolander AT2s on my Cherokee, nice but wore so long they hardened up and got really slick.

KM2s on my TJ (wish I had bought MTRs). Rubbish in the snow and ice, but don't get much around here. I struggle on the snow runs.

Looked at Falken WIld Peaks for the Wagoneer, but ended up with BFG ATs with the Made is USA lettering on the side. :)
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Mars

Post by Mars »

I'm running firestone destination A/T 's
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

whsii

Post by whsii »

Mars wrote:I'm running firestone destination A/T 's

Just bought my third set of Firestone Destination A/t's.

First two sets on Grand Cherokee's. First set rears have 60k and are a little over 1/2 worn out. They are rather quiet on the road, do very well off road when semi dry. They are not mud tires, but still will clean when semi wet. They work very well with snow, and do grip some on ice, the close tread pattern does help with ice over M/T's.

Put a set on the Grand Wagoneer, like the looks, like the ride, like the grip.

The J10 hopefully will get a set in September.

Just my thoughts...

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

I don't know the exact name but my brother in law has some Kenda's on him and my sisters f150. I like Kenda tires, we run them on our ATVs and utility vehicles without problem. They are cheap, usually the cheapest you can get, and they are really stepping up the technology and advancements for a fraction of the cost of the big brands. When I had my kendas mounted on my ATV a month ago the local tire shop owner said that 75% plus of the tires he sells nowadays are kendas and he even runs them on his own stuff. That says alot considering almost everybody around here drives trucks with at's or mt's.
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

wvrefugee

Post by wvrefugee »

For the money, it's hard to beat the Cooper AT3 tires.
...so the Maples formed a union and demanded equal rights - the Oaks are just to greedy, they grab up all our light. Now there's no more Oak oppression, for they passed a noble law, and the trees are all kept equal -- by hatchet, ax, and saw..." Neal Peart, Rush "The Trees"

oakknoll

Post by oakknoll »

I put a set of Cooper AT3s on my F-250 a year ago and have about 12,000 miles on them. It is a nice tire and worked great in the snow, but they seem to be wearing very fast. I'd say they are 1/3 gone already.
Peter

1984 J-10
1982 CJ-8
1982 Wagoneer
1991 Comanche
1998 XJ Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee
2007 Commander
2012 Wrangler

cma

Post by cma »

i read a lot of test reports about this tires. i decided this one, not buyed yet but still have a price reservation. for me it is very importand to have good traction on snow because we have the more strong winters, and i want to drive the cherokee the whole year.
theonetruegreg wrote:I run the DuraTracs Wranglers. Been good in dirt and mud, decent on slick rocks. Quite nice on the road, far quieter than expected. Can't speak to the life of them or snow yet, though.
Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Jeep Cherokee Chief Laredo, 12/1982, AMC 360, black/black

Picture Story: https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823415 ... directlink
Part II:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823415 ... directlink