Project WT Waggy - Part 3 - Heart Transplant

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Re: Project WT Waggy - Part 3 - Heart Transplant

Post by srobertsfsj »

ProTouring442 wrote:I don't know if you've solved your radiator conundrum yet, so I throw in too. CAPTSmith and I (and maybe a few others) used a Griffin radiator made for an LS swap into a first Generation Camaro ('67-'69). Through Summit Racing it's part number GRI-8-00009-LS RADIATOR and it currently retails for $267.39. The disadvantage of this unit is you'll have to run a separate transmission oil cooler (it has no internal cooler) and a thermostat to ensure you bring the transmission fluid up to temperature. The advantage is that it bolts right in to the Jeep's radiator support, and is readily available if something were to happen to yours. CAPTSmith also used the GM fan, fan-clutch, and an aftermarket fan-shroud, but I don't know the manufacturer on the shroud.
I have not figured this out yet. I have been pinging on BJ's but they still have no dates for their radiator. I did find a couple of other sites for conversion radiators.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/cool ... /k-sj3.htm

http://jeepspeedshop.com/index.php?page ... &Itemid=26

The Novak radiator is just ridiculously expensive. The other is much more reasonable but I am confused because the Novak radiator had both ports on the passenger side and the JeepSpeedShop has one port on the top-driver and the other on the bottom-passenger.

Any idea which would be the right configuration? I plan on runnilng the stock fan clutch.
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

srobertsfsj wrote:I have not figured this out yet. I have been pinging on BJ's but they still have no dates for their radiator. I did find a couple of other sites for conversion radiators.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/cool ... /k-sj3.htm

http://jeepspeedshop.com/index.php?page ... &Itemid=26

The Novak radiator is just ridiculously expensive. The other is much more reasonable but I am confused because the Novak radiator had both ports on the passenger side and the JeepSpeedShop has one port on the top-driver and the other on the bottom-passenger.

Any idea which would be the right configuration? I plan on runnilng the stock fan clutch.
The Camaro radiator CAPTSmith and I used have both ports on the passenger side. Frankly, I think I'd go with that one. It seems to have all the advantages of the Novak unit, but at nearly 1/3 the cost. Griffin make very good radiators. Ping CAPTSmith to see where he got his fan shroud, and you should be golden. Like you, he ran the GM clutch fan. He is running a 6.0, and reports no problems with it running hot.

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

I sent off a message to CAPT.

The only other thing I am having a heck of time finding an 96+ NP241c wtih the manual shift. Gonna hit up the junkyard this weekend and see what I can find.
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Ok I am beginning to wonder if such a TC exists, I cannot find one anywhere. All the pickups 96 and newer seem to have the electronic shift. Has anyone here that has done the 5.3L/4L60e swap use an NP241c tc with manual shift? If so, what did you get it out of?
Scott R.

Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

if you find out what that fan shroud was from, post it up if you don't mind. I'm wanting to use the mechanical fan also on my swap also.

Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

protouring, I was looking at the summit radiator that you posted up, was there a reason you didn't go with the trans cooler version? GRI-8-70009-LS I did notice it was another 100 more though. all of the other specs seem the same.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Jeeptchr wrote:protouring, I was looking at the summit radiator that you posted up, was there a reason you didn't go with the trans cooler version? GRI-8-70009-LS I did notice it was another 100 more though. all of the other specs seem the same.
There was a very specific reason... I didn't notice it was the one without the cooler in it.

In retrospect, I am pretty glad I didn't get the one with the internal cooler. I like the idea of the transmission having its own, separate system. Engine coolant temperature is too hot for a transmission.

Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

Ah, understood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Made a big score this weekend at the junkyard. Pulled a complete NP241c with manual shift out of a 96 Tahoe. Now I just need the adapter and the SYE kit.

Also got an email from BJ's confirming they are almost ready to start selling the Chevy conversion radiators again.

Here is a quote from the email. "We received our prototype last night, and will be doing several test-fits over the next week to be sure there are no fitment issues. After that, if no issues, they will go into production and we’ll have them starting in about 4-5 weeks."

Scott R.

badaboom

Post by badaboom »

Scott,

Is the SYE Slip Yoke extension necessary/required or you just decided to do this?
Curious..
1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Ceramic Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers with complete Magnaflow exhaust, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, EXTREME MAKEOVER - IN PROCESS - FITECH soon

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

I don't think is nessessary, just depends on what you are doing with the Jeep. I am doing it for two reasons. First, I like to do moderate off-roading so I dont want to risk the drive shaft slipping out when articulating the suspension. Second, the stock NP241 has a GM VSS sensor in the slip yoke, the SYE kit allows for a mechanical speedo gear so I can run the stock speedometer. The Advance Adapters 4 bolt to 6 bolt tranny to transfer case adapter has the VSS sensor it so I will use that sensor for the ECM.
Scott R.

badaboom

Post by badaboom »

I hear you, because for the most part it is really not necessary - thanks for the clarification...
1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Ceramic Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers with complete Magnaflow exhaust, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, EXTREME MAKEOVER - IN PROCESS - FITECH soon

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

FINALLY! The time has come. I was able to scrap enough $ together for the tranny so right after Christmas I plan on getting started on the swap. Everyone get ready for a ton of questions because I know when I get started I am going to be asking a bunch!.

My hope is that I will have the Jeep ready for Moab! :fsj:

Here are some pics of the tranny. Rebuilt 4L60e with the HD sungear, shift kit, etc. Also has a 24mth/24,000 mile warranty :-bd

Scott R.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Awesome, was just wondering the other day how things were going. Had not seen you post for a while.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Man Scott, I'm hoping to see it this year even if I have to stalk you down. Get-R-done......
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

haha, I am trying. I know once I start I will be gung ho!! Hopefully the issues will stay to a minimum. :)
Scott R.

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Im so excited, the waggy is now at is new home where the swap will take place. Hoping to start some of the tear down on Sat. The tank is coming out. BTW, I am putting out a feeler now for my old gas tank let me know. Because of the new drivetrain the tank I have wont fit. Its an Aero 33 gallon tank, with the added skid plate and EFI in-tank bracket. Installed about 1 1/2 years ago.

Scott R.

Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

I'm glad you found your manual shift 241c. For future reference you can take the electronics off the electric shift ones and make them manual shift. They have a similar tab under the motor.

Sharp looking Waggy!
1975 Cherokee S factory 360,t-18, 4" hellcreek, slot mags 33" bfg's, performer intake, and Fitech fuel injection.
1980 J10 304, 5 spd, 4" Superlift, 4.88 Gears, 35" Maxxis Big Horns
1961 fc-150 fishing truck (on hold)

Former Air Cav

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Hey Scott - we are running Moab during the actual EJS this year. I've never done it during the actual EJS and wanna try it.

April 13-20.

We are planning to take my wifes '92 YJ on tons and 37's locked F/R and my buddy is planning to take his TJ on stock axles locked F/R and 35's.

I'm NOT planning to take the Honcho unless my buddy bails (like he's done the past 2 years). I feel that on a trip like that, we must take two vehicles.

Now of course if we seem to get a large FSJ turnout, I will definitely take the Honcho.

The build is looking good! Lemme know if you need a hand!

Topic author
srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

We shall see Blake. Depends on if I can get the engine swap done in time. Not sure I want to go during EJS. Too much craziness lol!
Scott R.