Moved under its own power... Atlas upgrade

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
will e

Moved under its own power... Atlas upgrade

Post by will e »

Well after another couple of weekend days I was able to start and move the jeep under its own power. You all know that feeling when you have been punching away at something for several weekends. Lots could go wrong. The anticipation as you turn the key and fire the engine and with both reluctance and hope you shift the transmission into gear.

I am only running the rear drive shaft. I barely had time to swap out the front flange vs yoke for the CV and when I tried I ran into a problem. (I will start another thread)

But I did drive it about 20 miles. DId a few errands. Runs like a champ. I couldn't resist and tossed it into low before pulling it back into the garage. About 30 feet in 2.0 and it felt great.

Still some buttoning up to do but the hardest part is past and it didn't explode when I put it in gear so I am a happy guy right now. And I should have no issues making the AZ desert Turkey trip! Even without the front drive shaft.....
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

jsinajeep

Re: Moved under its own power... Atlas upgrade

Post by jsinajeep »

I new you could, I new you could, I new you could do it :D

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Rock on there old man, bring it on over and get fat & happy with us.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

I am 'pretty darn happy' with the location of the front/rear shifters. They may just be barely out of reach when in 'high' and I an cinched down in the seat. I played around a little and if I tilt the seat up some I can reach the shifters but, in all reality, if I am cinched in and messing with the shifters it will be from N to Low and not so much into and out of High. They are not 'perfect' but they are as close to me as I could get with my limited fab skills.

I also took the time to pull the ARB switch wire to the center console. I still have to wire it up but it will be within easy reach, same with the off road lights. And while I was at it I set it up so I will be able to wire in a fuel pump on/off switch.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

rstep

Post by rstep »

Great news Mike glad it's coming together. So what's up with the joints?
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Congrats Mike. If you can get the length for the front shaft, I will look at the XJ shafts I have here for you. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/