rear quarter panel protection

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
kswagoneer

rear quarter panel protection

Post by kswagoneer »

I built some rear quarter panel gaurds to protect from rocks and trees on the trail. Plus it makes my jeep look like a tough expedition rig!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Grandwagoneer amc 360 4in lift, 31's, revolver shackles, 10k superwinch, aussie locker, electric fan, holley red electric fuel pump, HEI ignition.

fulsizjeep

Re: rear quarter panel protection

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have torn up some rear quarters and beat them back out to smash them again. Not sure where you are going with that Jeep but I would have smashed those guards dropping off the first ledge in many places I have taken my Jeep.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

ChiefBigB

Post by ChiefBigB »

Those will actually increse the damage. Not trying to disappoint, but they arent going to do what you think. Same as brush guards…You would be better off with a rap around rear bumper.

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

Yeah the big booty gets in the way sometimes

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Yeah man, sorry. Those are not gonna hold up to any kind of real hit.

How do you have them tied into the frame?

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

If they're tied to the frame and you can lift the back end of the truck, they're tough enough. Otherwise, prepare for them to bend and hit the sheet metal.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
kswagoneer

Post by kswagoneer »

LOLLL What a bunch of negative nancies. I used my front end loader and lifted the rear off the ground on either side, I can also pull my jeep side ways with them on gravel sooo sorry guys im pretty sure they are tough enough to handle anything ill see on the trails, If thats not tough enough then if I were you id reconsider the approach you take to wheeling. Thank you all for the ignorant "advice" and lack of knowledge of off road armor, seems to be a lot of web wheelers on here. Have none of you seen these on land rovers and land cruisers? Also these are obviously not made for 50mph car crashes but for the occasional large rock or scraping against tree. btw theres 3 places its tied into the frame
Last edited by kswagoneer on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1989 Grandwagoneer amc 360 4in lift, 31's, revolver shackles, 10k superwinch, aussie locker, electric fan, holley red electric fuel pump, HEI ignition.

Topic author
kswagoneer

Post by kswagoneer »

Its frustrating when people with uneducated opinions that have no real world experience feel the need to jump on threads like this. Same thing happened when I sought advice about revolver shackles. I got all sorts of non sense from people that have never even used them, 15000 miles and 10 wheeling trips later on steep hills, and slopes, and daily driving swerving and missing deer and I have yet to experience anything bad from them. With a correctly built rig and a balanced center of gravity they are remarkable on the trail, combined with my aussie lockers.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Just so you are aware, the guys that posted have the real world experience, with these beasts, on any terrain imaginable. Dont ASSUME anything... 8-)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

jaber wrote:Just so you are aware, the guys that posted have the real world experience, with these beasts, on any terrain imaginable. Dont ASSUME anything... 8-)
LOL :lol:
But I don't know...

...pretty much look like web wheelers to my untrained eye.

Seriously though, OP, run what you want.
To me it looks like you added more stuff to get hung up on.

I think I will go bake some more Quiche now.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
kswagoneer

Post by kswagoneer »

Tad i wasnt referring to you ive seen your jeep I love it but Id prefer to get hung up on a rock with my slider than damage my body which is in excellent condition. I am clearly not referring to everyone on this site, id just prefer it if people didn't just automatically jump and assume such nonsense. Perhaps ask hey how do you have those attached etc etc etc. Instead of being ignorant and just assuming they are attached with duck tape. I wouldnt have put them on there if they werent strong enough to hold the rear weight of the vehicle. I also have rock slider under my doors like most jeepers use as well and I have lifted up the entire side of my jeep with those as well. They are an excellent pivot point and have protected my jeep multiple times from large rocks etc. Ive just extended that concept for the rear portion. I just dont see how hard that is to understand? I prefer to keep my jeeps body looking somewhat straight.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

WOW just WOW :P
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

lobie

Post by lobie »

Expedition rig on 31's, he'll be fine. :P
77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

http://www.lobie4x4.com
http://www.cfsjc.com

will e

Post by will e »

A couple of buddies have something similar. I smashed the crap out of those panels on my wagoneer. Our long overhang is a definate shortcomming if you are trying to avoid body damage.

I am considering having my rear bumper modified to include some kind of protection. You can kind of see some on Kevin's rig here:

and a another look in this video

Here they came in handy for Kevin, he had them buried in the dirt a little so they are hard to see

This is a pretty good shot too
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

kswagoneer wrote:Tad i wasnt referring to you ive seen your jeep...
Why would you refer to me?
I had not posted in this thread at that point.
kswagoneer wrote:I am clearly not referring to everyone on this site...
That would be pretty hard to do, but let's recap for some of the folks you called out...
kswagoneer wrote:...a bunch of negative nancies...
kswagoneer wrote:...ignorant "advice"...
kswagoneer wrote:...people with uneducated opinions that have no real world experience...
...so I think my point is those people are not negative nancies, are not ignorant, they are not uneducated and they have a ton of real world experience.

FSJ Guy wrote:If they're tied to the frame and you can lift the back end of the truck...
It was offered up.

Perhaps if you would have shown this and the pic's of the front loader lifting the rig prior to making those comments folks would have understood your intentions better.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

will e

Post by will e »

Looking at my own custom bumper I think adding some would be easy (for someone who knows how). But the length of them just seems like they would bend up pretty easy without extra support. Do you have some pictures of how you incorporated them into the frame?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

WOW. If I don't have the experience, I don't offer an opinion here. I looked at your pictures and concluded they were not up for the wheeling I DO. Meh, you do yer thing - I am perfectly OK with it. Happy Thanksgiving.

Good Day
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

68glad

Post by 68glad »

kswagoneer wrote: I used my front end loader and lifted the rear off the ground on either side,

You have my attention now. Close up pics?
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

will e

Post by will e »

BTW, I think the first picture threw a lot of people off on how you put it all together. Looking at the first picture (and the best close up) it doesn't appear to have any frame attachments. The first thing I thought when I saw that first picture is "That's not going to be strong enough".

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I would like to run with you, 15,000 mile, 10 wheeling trip = 1500 mile per trip at an average of 5 mph = oh my I don't have enough
finger to count. Anyway I just took a hammer and chisel to mine and it work great.