Thanksgiving in the Desert 2012

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
Gumby

Thanksgiving in the Desert 2012

Post by Gumby »

I know this is on the mother ship but it needs to be here also..... So I guess the date this year is estimated to the the 17-18 November.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Tad
Vendor

Re: Thanksgiving in the Desert 2012

Post by Tad »

Would seem correct.
Might be fun to spend two nights.
Go up the back way through Mammoth?
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I live less than ten miles from the G-D pacific. If this is a West Coast event I need some Dang details!

There's a real good chance I'll be in Kuwait next summer and miss Ouray. Help a brotha' out!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

REDONE wrote:I live less than ten miles from the G-D pacific. If this is a West Coast event I need some Dang details!

There's a real good chance I'll be in Kuwait next summer and miss Ouray. Help a brotha' out!
I think you are going to need to travel a few miles south to visit mammoth ;) But hey if you do, stop by on the way :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yikes! I found the other thread on the mother board. It's about 300 miles farther away than Ouray! @-)

Don't worry Stuka, I travel quite a bit what with all the different Army bases across this country. You're on my list of people to meet face to face and when I'm in your neck of the woods I will give you a heads up! :ympeace:
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Well I must say once again that this event was a blast :D . I cant wait until next year... next time I will most likely keep the entire family out there for the night (that is if we are not there all weekend :D ). Thanks to all that showed up and sorry to Kevin and the boys, I did not get to tell them bye :cry: Next time "trail runs" for me. :-bd :-bd
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

fulsizjeep

Turkey in the Desert

Post by fulsizjeep »

Thursday, Nov 15 - Last day of work before Turkey in the Desert. I can't get out of a 3 hour meeting to finish some things started this week. I get frustrated and make us late leaving work. Great Googley Moogley, it was good to get out of there! Got half the Jeep loaded for the Arizona trip before going to bed.

Friday, Nov 16 - Finish packing and get away from the house by 9AM. After some errands in Cortez, it is 10AM when we head south. I was a little concerned after my last trip, feeling paranoid something will break on the way out of Colorado. We made it to New Mexico in no time in spite of the crappy highway and I started to feel better once we got south of my axle blow out 22 miles beyond Shiprock. US491 south of Ship Rock is in real good shape so we easily cruised 70 on 4 lane divided highway. P2 was getting about 11.5 mpg on the first tank of gas. I40 flowed well to the west and we ran 70-80 most of the way to Holbrook, AZ. Topped off in Holbrook with 10.8 mpg. We turned south there and made better gas mileage again on the next tank running 60-70. The Salt River Canyon was just as beautiful as usual and we made good time. May get to the Roger's place before dark. We had low sun staring at us as we came down from Globe on 60. The valley was in a haze that helped to produce a colorful sunset. Rolled in to Queen Creek just as the light was fading to black. Nothing but a win on the drive down!

Saturday, Nov 17 - We get packed for Turkey in the Desert and meet up with folks at the McDonald's in Florence. Real good to see old friends again and meet some new folk as well. By then, Tad & Bob were already on site in the desert wash where we were headed. We all rolled at 10 and headed down to the wash. Tad and Em was just getting back from loading firewood for the evening. There was plenty of time to catch up with almost everyone to some level and then the food prep started. Bob fried the turkey perfect as well as the turket breast. Tables were set up and food started getting laid out while some other cook prep was going on. By 4:30, food was getting out on plates and consumed. The head count was 31 or 32, I could not get the same number each time I counted. It was a multi-family FSJ gathering that went off very well with plenty of food and story to go around. Unlike last year, no liquor was brought out so we all slowly sunk into our chairs around the fire after some children and adults went home. I think we were all checked into bed rolls by 10:30. Again, another win for Turkey in the desert.

Bob gave Krista the tailgate panel from Phoebe which he had everyone sign that he could who were involved in the resurrection of Phoebe Too. It was emotional. We came to the desert 2 years before and destroyed Phoebe but got back in the saddle and came back in the new and improved P2. We feel humbled still from all the help we got to get her back on the road. THANK YOU Arizona Friends and Family!!!

Sunday, Nov 18 - Krista's Birthday! Most woke at or before daylight. I had the fire stoked back up and story started going around again over coffee and other morning drinks. We brought 17 chicken and 7 duck eggs to toss in for breakfast. Bob cooked up potatoes and chorrizo to roll in tortillas with the scrambled eggs. Then some pumpkin pie to top it off. There was no shortage of food! Gradually, folks from Tucson got packed up first along with Jerry and Sandy from Globe and headed back home. We enjoyed a couple more hours of chat and story under shady trees before we packed up and headed out with AZ Frank, Ralph and Em.

We are now in Anthem with Krista's mom and step dad for Thanksgivings. Here we are in AZ again with a fine Jeep Wagoneer. We have waaay much to be thankful for. Pictures will be added as we have time and resources to make that happen.

We Love our AZ FSJ Friends and Family! :-bd

Happy Thanksgiving All!
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jsinajeep

Re: Turkey in the Desert

Post by jsinajeep »

Yes, it was a very good week-end for Thankgiving in the Desert get together with our Jeep friends.
Waiting on next year now.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Glad to hear you were able to make the trip, and without any issues :)

Sounds like fun was had by all.
2017 JKU Rubicon

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I am so incredibly happy for you guys! Someday when I'm a millionaire I'm just going to make it my job to go to every single FSJ event all across the the country non-stop. :)
Grizzly Locker Rear

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

REDONE wrote:I am so incredibly happy for you guys!
X2
It's nice to have a good time with good friends
REDONE wrote:Someday when I'm a millionaire I'm just going to make it my job to go to every single FSJ event all across the the country non-stop. :)
OOO YESSS
Just as soon as I cash in that winning Powerball ticket and pay off all my bills...wait...there will be no $$$ left for fun...
Some day, when I ever get back in a position to complete my projects, I wanna come out West.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

REDONE wrote:I am so incredibly happy for you guys! Someday when I'm a millionaire I'm just going to make it my job to go to every single FSJ event all across the the country non-stop. :)
Better start off as a billionaire then so you have money leftover to live on after paying for fuel!

:D
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

carnuck wrote:
REDONE wrote:I am so incredibly happy for you guys! Someday when I'm a millionaire I'm just going to make it my job to go to every single FSJ event all across the the country non-stop. :)
Better start off as a billionaire then so you have money leftover to live on after paying for fuel!

:D
At todays fuel prices, I am not sure a Billion would cover the fuel bill for an FSJ. Especially if you add in all the oil you need to buy to replace the leak losses.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

LOL, all joking aside - the trip down was only about $160 for fuel. :P
Flint Boardman

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

fulsizjeep wrote:ooops, I started another thread on this yesterday and just found this... The gathering was GREAT! :-bd

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=805
I went ahead and merged it into this topic (First time trying this out). It seams it puts everything together via date, so its a bit jumbled, but I think it works :)
2017 JKU Rubicon

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Thanks Brandon! :-bd
Flint Boardman

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Flint, Krista, very glad to hear it was a good trip. One of these years I'll make it.

Happy turkey day...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Happy Thanksgiving All! :fsj:

there is an album of pix here:
http://s232.beta.photobucket.com/user/j ... e%20Desert
Flint Boardman

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

We got home at 4:30 yesterday. Critters are all collected and home with us. Kittens have some kind of crud. Can't be LCF. Must be a Colorado brew. Looks like they will be seeing the vet. It was a great trip and so good to see all of you at Turkey in the Desert! We are still blown away by the outpouring of time and love that was put in to Phoebe Too. :fsj: Krista & I are definitely back in the saddle and very Thankful!
Flint Boardman

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I am really sad we missed the desert Thanks Giving trip this year.

Unfortunately the home we bought in September has turned out to be a "real" version of the movie The Money Pit
Don't get me wrong though................... I feel so blessed to be living here in Wrightwood, CA. This place is an amazing jeep town :D

Hey Knucklehead that is a great picture in your avitar! You have any more pictures of that Jeep?
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!