What am I gonna do with my life...

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Nikkormat

What am I gonna do with my life...

Post by Nikkormat »

I now find myself at a pivitol moment in any young persons life were I attempt to decide "What the hell am I gonna do with my life?"

I've narrowed it down to 2-3 choices that I think are most realistic based on my passions and tallents...

1 - Classic Automotive Restoration and Sales

Man I love cars, I (usually) love to work on them, and I love the sense of satisfaction seeing that I did it and did it right. I've got the skills just no certifications, and no connections on the industry. So startup costs would be sky freaking high. But I've already got a body guy! Actually, he's never done body work he just loves old cars and money like me. He wants to do paint and body though.

My concerns with this are startup costs, and certifications. Other than that I love it.

2 - Engineering (undecided focus)

I'm good at it, I'm in highschool for it, and I know I can make money. All I'm lacking is grades in other classes to get into a college that will be a good experience and fit for me.

School selection is important to me because I don't typically get along well with people of my age group (to much pop culture not enough being a decent human being), won't share my space, and WILL NOT give up my tools jeep and racecar. (Many schools won't let freshman have cars, let alone two and a boat. And I don't want to live on a campus surrounded by people I dislike strongly.) Finding a school that meets those requirements is difficult but no impossible.

3 - Construction, my fall back plan.

I'm worth about 20 bucks an hour to the right company. I frame, sheet, electrical, plumbing, insulation, roofing and I'm a full blown tile extrordinare. It's not my favorite, but its there as a real option. I also have a chance to prefab a house for nearly free for college. Even if it is small.

I listed my choices in order of preference and reverse order of ease-of-completion.

You've all got some years on me. So without knowing me, based purely on your assumptions... Tell me what you think.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Tatsadasayago

Re: What am I gonna do with my life...

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I will address the automotive thing:
I grew up in a auto repair shop. Grandpa had the shop then Dad took it over when GP passed. I was driving a wrecker, worked as a mechanic through school and while I was in the army I started enjoying working on vehicles more than my job. Drag racing and wheeling rigs ate up all my free time and a few very nice girlfriends.

I finally decided I would rather be a gearhead than a soldier so I finished my enlistment and got a job at a Dodge dealership. That led to a Jeep dealership where I worked until Uncle Sam called me back to duty in 1990 for the sandbox. When I returned I started my own repair shop and went all out for a few years. One day as I was cussing yet another oil soaked pile of crap I was working on it dawned on me:
I had turned my hobby into a vocation and I realized I now hated working on other peoples crap. It wasn't fun any longer.
I learned that sometimes by spending too much time doing something you love can cause you to hate it.

So if you're serious about spending the best years of your life working on automobiles, you should understand where this can lead.
Fixing, Hot-rodding and restoring cars for others is an honorable trade and those that have stuck with it have my respect.
Know that most likely, in your lifetime, you will witness the end of the automobile as we know it. These fossil fuel consuming beasties will pass into history and those in the business had better adapt to something else.

You're young, you seem intelligent and motivated from what little I know of you. I would urge you to explore technology and expose yourself to the incredible range of discliplines available and find one that fulfills your desires.
I discovered late in life that I am a natural 3d modeler, designer and artist. I can spend 20 hours a day creating things in 3DsMax, Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop and often fall asleep at the keyboard. Some might call it an obsession, others might call it 'Into it' but I call it Love of the Art.
Check out the online World of Tanks game sometimes and see the results of my work. I created the models for most of the German medium and heavy tank lines and I made decent money doing it.
Sadly computer technology hadn't matured yet when I was your age so I had to wait 40 some-odd years to discover my true calling.

You will know it when you find your true gig when you enjoy going to work every day.

I hope this helps.

Jim
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Tatsadasayago wrote: I had turned my hobby into a vocation and I realized I now hated working on other peoples crap. It wasn't fun any longer.
I learned that sometimes by spending too much time doing something you love can cause you to hate it.

Check out the online World of Tanks game sometimes and see the results of my work. I created the models for most of the German medium and heavy tank lines and I made decent money doing it.

I hope this helps.

Jim
Thanks Jim, turning something I love into a career is something that troubles me. But I have noted that I do better work faster when I'm pasionate about what I am doing. But like you said; how long would I be passionate about that something after I spend every day all day doing it.

I played World of Tanks back in late beta. You do good work man! I stopped when I lost all my tanks and money during the switch to final release.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I'm glad you understand the potential for sad-face when you make a hobby into a career. I feed my need to be wrenching and scheming things Jeep/Mopar but rarely get tired of it because I can stop at any moment and walk away for a day or 30 or 1865 if I choose to. That was luxury I didn't have when I was doing it for a living.

Ahh yes, Beta WoT! Thanks!
Well I hope you liked the Tiger I. That was my baby :)
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Ah yes the tiger one. That's as far as I made it through the advancement tree but man it was a machine. Loved the turret action to. Smoooootttthhhhh as can be.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

What I have to try and do if I go that route is to make it big enough that I can be like that guy who runs Gas Monkey Garage down in texas. That way by the time I'm tired of wrenching I can just hire people to make my visions into realitys. That might be aiming to high though...

letank

Post by letank »

We need video conferencing... A lot easier than hitting keys.

As you have guessed, we need money for anything, but most of all grades, good grades are a trampoline to better schools, I remember learning tons of idiotic things... and forgetting most of them... But you know they exist...

If marginal grades, then connections, networking, and meeting people, but in high school who do we meet, our girl friend parents.... No way... But it can be a good idea, your friends parents, not a bad idea.... There are a lot of opportunities that can tickle your mind to stimulate a learning mode... I won't mention the coworker that taught his 5 year old excel macros...

But some talent and creativity are also ,looked upon, c'mon you have not created a few startups already and earn a million bucks as a sophomore... Daring is always a positive sign, you have been messing w a few cars already, in high school we tinkered w moped and motorcycles, the lucky one had a car, but the tinkering started in college when we had more time. A little note, I grew up and studied in France, came some 30 years ago for a scientific exchange program, and .... I am still in the States.

Back to your topic, certifications are starting to be required for most specialties, too many goofballs have cheated, so special interests have decided to deliver certification and are making a great business... From welding to medicine and IT, this is basically the only way to control acquired knowledge.

I have not helped really.... Making a living out of our passion is often a road scattered with surprises, time to hang out at the local body shop or garage and ask questions... Same for engineering, most of my engineer's friends became high end sales people, great pay check with the commissions, the most brilliant one, ended for the subway system and travelled the world to sell the parisian subway... dang we have BART in SF, and it is not a well crafted system.... The cars are from France, and the system caught fire less than a month after it began service in the 70's. Those who were young physicians, .... said it is amazing that I did not kill someone today.... So the world is not perfect .... And I am falling asleep...

So time to explore what your choices can be on the daily basis... Remember that after 5 or 10 years you will be probably tired of the same routine, and if it is not clear now, you need to think of a lateral move... You become the boss, or do something related to your training or schooling.

The world is changing , 2 years ago gas was getting more and more expensive, electric cars were going to be the must have, and now in 5 months, the barrel of oil has gone from $107 to $67... A move that is certainly related to bug Russia who depends on gas at $80 a barrel, same for Iran...

To conclude, go to your library -ooops, it is online- and read real newspapers, the new york times, the last page of section A has the oped great dissertations everyday, the washington post, peek at the titles, it is a wealth of ideas.

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

letank wrote:c'mon you have not created a few startups already and earn a million bucks as a sophomore...

Back to your topic, certifications are starting to be required for most specialties, too many goofballs have cheated, so special interests have decided to deliver certification and are making a great business... From welding to medicine and IT, this is basically the only way to control acquired knowledge.

Making a living out of our passion is often a road scattered with surprises.

for the subway system and travelled the world to sell the parisian subway... dang we have BART in SF, and it is not a well crafted system.... The cars are from France, and the system caught fire less than a month after it began service in the 70's.

So time to explore what your choices can be on the daily basis... Remember that after 5 or 10 years you will be probably tired of the same routine, and if it is not clear now, you need to think of a lateral move... You become the boss, or do something related to your training or schooling.
Nope, I'm raking in a whopping $300 bucks a month before expenses. Washing dishes won't pay the bills; but a little money is better than none.

Certifications are one of the things that make me dread going into "the trades". To many bad people out there taking advantage of uninformed consumers. Making life harder for the people who do it right.

Mixing passion and money is a twisty new road to be carefully explores indeed. As ive come to understan it, it isn't something I should rush into.

Ahhh yes, the Parisian metro. I had the plesure of being able to visit europe this past summer and I will never forget the time I grabbed the black slot in the ceiling of the train instead of the handrail. My hand came out blacker than it has grabbing any crud covered jeep part. And I've got some cruddy parts!

The future is my greatest concern. And is the reason for all of my planning.

Post by 243 »

I agree with separating hobbies from careers, the reason I would not consider gunsmithing or auto restoration.

Consider construction management in the same category as engineering, cm will get you in and out of school faster than engineering, pay well right out of school and provide a lot of opportunity to move up, but long hours for the nice paycheck.

Every time I watch contractors in the field, I appreciate the time I spent in school keeping me out of the ditch, manhole, off the roof, scaffold, ladder or steel. There is absolutely nothing wrong with hard work and clean living, but I want the energy to play when I am not working.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

will e

Post by will e »

The engineer path is the best.

You might consider a year or two of community college instead of going right to a University.

You will also find that the people in college, even community college, are much more interested in an education than the kids who 'had to go do high school'. There are still a lot of kids who are showing up because their parents are paying for it and they don't have anything else to do. But the culture is different from high school. (At least is was 30 plus years ago)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Go engineer if you can.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

Nikkormat wrote:
Mixing passion and money is a twisty new road to be carefully explores indeed. As ive come to understan it, it isn't something I should rush into.

The future is my greatest concern. And is the reason for all of my planning.
You are already ahead of most, thinking loud about "options" and gathering information, this is why I suggested looking at the titles of a national newspaper, it gives you a broadview of what is happening worldwide, or I should say of what the media wants you to know, then you can check the BBC, and picking on the other newsreport on non-speaking english countries, albeit most have some english materials, al jazeera has even an american coverage.

Picking up a foreign language could be something to be considered... spanish, I would not push for french as it is hard and only spoken in few countries such as Canada and west and north Africa, or some remote islands in the Pacific.

Indeed the community college is a neat option, two of my kids used this pathway.
Michel

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Why not join the military?

I signed up to the USAF (air force) when I was 17, actually started a few months later when I was 18.

Ended up getting into computer stuff while in the USAF. Did my 4 years, then got out and tripled my salary when I did. I'm now Sr. Systems Engineer and have worked at the same company for 11 years.

I feel that my military experience is/was FAR FAR FAR better than any college degree I could have possibly obtained and that it helped me in many other ways.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

If I were to do it again, I would get a degree in Chemical Engineering. The number of jobs out there is insane and the average starting salary is $85,000 a year. I can't count the number of jobs I run across with salaries in the $120,000 range for chemical engineers with just a couple of years experience. That being said, any engineering is a good career. I'm currently a systems engineer and I get to do different jobs in different locations in different countries. I'm happy going to work, and that means a lot.

I think Letank hit the nail on the head here:
letank wrote:
As you have guessed, we need money for anything, but most of all grades, good grades are a trampoline to better schools...

I got a 3.838, taking all AP classes in high school except one. Those grades are what landed me in a good college. That degree is what landed me in grad school. That degree landed me a good job right out of school. If you're not making honor roll, your chances decrease dramatically for getting into a well recognized college. My two cents: Focus on getting your grades now and it will pay off.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Im active duty military and love the job. However, I have been blessed with 2 sons since I enlisted...and the schedule and time away from them is not worth losing.

I plan to separate at the end of my current enlistment. Medical, BioChem, Chemical and any type of oil/gas are going to be big. I have been offered immediate jobs in oil/gas, but the lack of help coupled with high demand is yielding a schedule similar to what I have now. I'll never be home.

I did 10yrs of construction and got into the estimating side prior to enlisting, so I wasn't breaking my back in the heat all day. I disliked how you are never caught up or ahead of schedule. There is always someone upset that you are taking too long.

For the record, I'm considering fire fighting or medicine. I'll be 32yrs old when I seaparate. My service in the US Coast Guard has shown me that I enjoy nothing more than directly affecting the lives of others in a positive manner. When you get a sincere bear hug from a grown man who is crying like a baby while thanking you for saving his boys...it sinks in. If I can find a job where I can be home a little more often, have a stabilized geographical location, yet still get the feeling of helping others, I'll be set.

I guess my point here is that you may not know right away if you're doing the right thing. I'm 32 and still dont know exactly what I want to be when I grow up. You're young. Find a few things that interest you and support your standard of living, and start following the paths. Hopefully something will come out.

For the record, my schooling will be paid for and I'll receive enough money per month to cover my waterfront mortgage from the housing stipend provided by the GI Bill. I also plan to stay involved with the USCG as a reservist because I can maintain insurance for my family, make a few bucks, play on a few awesome boats, and get a taste of the military life a few times a year (which I will miss). Not to mention a retirement.

If I could do it all over I would've skipped construction and gone straight to the USCG out of High School.

Take it all for what it's worth.
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Man you military guys make it sound so easy. But on the other hand I totally agree with you. During the time I spent in high school, I was not ready to head off to college. I was accepted to a few but knew there was more I wanted t o see and do so I ran off to the Marine Corps. I got exactly what I needed, I life of experiences and more sea stories than I can remember (or ever want to). Now with three young ones at home I'm continuing my education and will be done soon, but on my terms now that I am retired.

I say you are on the right track so far. It seems you are firmly grounded but need a little exposure. I surely thought I wanted to be an avionics tech, but the field has shrunk in the last 20 years. But business is where I want to get into because one day I plan on owning my own.

Good luck to you and keep a positive outlook, you make your own destiny. No one can make you a success or a failure it is up to you and only you, follow your heart and have fun while doing so.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

letank

Post by letank »

Stuka wrote:Go engineer if you can.

In that case skip spanish and go mandarin, spend 1 year in China to become fluent.
Michel

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Major in business. Than you can do whatever you want. Second choice: Robotics.
Drink more Water

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

letank wrote:

In that case skip spanish and go mandarin, spend 1 year in China to become fluent.
Or Arabic... lots of work with Arabic speaking customers.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

letank

Post by letank »

Lumpskie wrote:
letank wrote:

Or Arabic... lots of work with Arabic speaking customers.

Not too sure about one's survival while speaking an arab language and being American or white in the middle east for the last 10 years... of one my kids wanted to join the Foreign service.... not too sure about being blond and tall in some regions equate your chance of making it back home in one piece...

It reminds me of the application that I sent for a overland job in Ethiopia, India and Afghanistan, be able to sustain weeks in the field with a vehicle, camping optional, but recommended... I am sure the local could have spotted me, the white guy with white hair....
Michel