Fuel Filler hose

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
bbuenger71

Fuel Filler hose

Post by bbuenger71 »

Where can I get a new upper fuel fill hose? I've looked at BJ's and there only have the lower one. anyone have any creative idea to modify something else to work?
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT
Edelbrock non EGR, Holley 600cfm, 32" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's. Lots of Bondo.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7276

letank

Re: Fuel Filler hose

Post by letank »

76, assuming a wag/chero , so it is the molded plastic inverted J piece with the side vent.... time for retrofitting a latter metal style. The gas tank is probably rusting thru and dumping fine rust into your fuel pump. I am gathering parts ....
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I've been looking into heavy equipment fuel hoses as a source for replacements on my 77. I've seen many FSJs that someone used radiator hoses and they were all cracked out and leaking...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Any reason not to make one from pre-bent exhaust tubing?
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

lkmarsh wrote:Any reason not to make one from pre-bent exhaust tubing?
That is a very good idea!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

lkmarsh wrote:Any reason not to make one from pre-bent exhaust tubing?
That is a good idea! The reason I want to replace it is because its dried and cracking and whenever I fuel up the car it has a horrible gas smell inside the cabin. Also... it takes forever to fill this thing up. I usually only put about $20 worth of fuel at a time because I don't have the patience to sit there with my hands all contorted holding the nozzle in that one position that it doesn't click off. However, a few days ago I went for it and filled that thing up. Put 19.5 gallons in. That was a huge mistake. Since then I have fuel spilling out of the filler neck. I do drive a fairly twisty canyon road everyday on my way to work which has it sloshing in the tank but is there some sort of check valve that might be bad?
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

I used the BJ's upper and hack-sawed the upper plastic section, replacing it with a generic one for a (80's) GMC Jimmy I think, it screws right in. I think the plastic one works fine too, I just happened to have the metal one in my garage.

The upper w/o evap canister fits the later models too, its just not a "perfect" fit. http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1340.htm
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

letank

Post by letank »

back to square one, the older tank fills up slowly.

1) the vapors, check your vent hose above the tank, in front of the rear driver's side , and make sure that this is not the source of your leak, this is a 3/4" vent hose IIRC that will harden with time and exposure to gas fumes, can be found at truck supplies or boat supplies. At this point you may find that the tank strap has broken off, as it was my case, at some time.

2) is it leaking from the big filler hose the 1 3/4"

Time to see where is leak really coming from, it could be the gas gauge rings seal or the fuel intake unit seal -the older years have 2 separate units.
Michel

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I think you need to pull the LR interior panel and inspect the vent line that hides in there. Part of it is rubber hose and part of it metal tube that goes through the LR fender well. What a stupid set up! If the rubber line has never been changed, it will be cracked or broke. I quit using that interior vent line altogether on Krista's 77 and changed the filler out for an 81 Waggy filler which has the metal vent line following the metal filler tube out the bottom inside of the rocker panel.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

This is what I did on my J10. Stainless tube where it's bent. Rubber hose on straight part.

Drink more Water

Topic author
bbuenger71

Post by bbuenger71 »

Thanks for all the advice and sorry for my lack of attention to the thread I started. I am leaning towards what Flint did with Krista's 77. I did not know how interchangeable the filler hoses are. Now I do! I took the panel off and don't see any cracks on the vent line but I do see some cracks on the bent 1 3/4 hose that attaches to the hard plastic filler neck. Hopefully I will get this figured out this weekend. My 4 year old son keeps bugging me to take him for a ride in "His Jeep" but I need to tackle this first. Don't want CPS called on me!
1976 Wagoneer
360/TH400/QT

letank

Post by letank »

Good news, you can find 1 3/4" straight hose at truck repair place, or they will tell you where to buy it, and have a muffler shop do the bending and stretching for the angled part. This is what I did 15 years ago, worked well.

Michel

custom76

Post by custom76 »

As this post has a bit of age, thought I would see if there is any new info on replacing the filler hose on my 76
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D

letank

Post by letank »

custom76 wrote:As this post has a bit of age, thought I would see if there is any new info on replacing the filler hose on my 76
As it seems that you have the same tank as my 74, that I almost finished a refurbishing, I got the 3/4" vent hose on-line, nobody has it locally. The 1 3/4", was the extra length that I bought 14 years ago and kept in a vault at the local bank...

http://www.fillernecksupply.com

The rubber elbow is a 90ish degree piece from a muffler shop, and 2 connectors hoses of 1 3/4" that the above mentioned place also sells.

in fact even better while trolling the above site -too many commercials for the olympic- this should take care of the bend and the connector hoses are not needed

http://www.fillernecksupply.com/1-3-4-o ... iameter-3/

Michel