Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
az chip

Re: Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

Did engine compression test today. 148 1,3,5,7 and 148 2,4,6and 8. Biggest issue now is oil leaks and to stay with original carb or go Holley TA or TBI.
Mission will be camping with a light trailer trails and travel. No extreme stuff. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

TitaniaDieKrieger

Post by TitaniaDieKrieger »

Depends on If you can get it to cold start when camping. I know I wouldn't want to fiddle with the carb when its 20 degrees in the morning
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

I don't think I will be camping when it is 20 degrees in the morning. That is a time for a hotel.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

Didn't you just convert your baby jeep to tbi? Maybe wait and see how much you like it then decide.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:Didn't you just convert your baby jeep to tbi? Maybe wait and see how much you like it then decide.
Yep. Good point.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

TBI is great. Well, it's been great for me. Eventually. But I'm also pretty clueless on carb tuning and live in a place where I can go from 8K elevation to 1K in an hour's drive.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

I had a no power in the cab issue where I had some voltage in certain spots but no lights, gauges or start. After some searching with a meter and my eyes I found the ground strap across the engine mount missing. Replaced ground strap and power restored. Next I pulled the seats and carpet out and although this is an Arizona truck I found rust. I think a wire wheel and some Marhyde rust converter and I should be ok there. Next up is brakes and re-seal of the rear diff and fluid change of the front diff. Should be a lot of fun!Image

will e

Post by will e »

I don't see rust (but I have bad eyes) are you sure that isn't some kind of leftover glue?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Check of a good start, really like those wide tracks.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:I don't see rust (but I have bad eyes) are you sure that isn't some kind of leftover glue?

I ground some down. It seemed rusty like. And it left minor pits in the metal. It may have started as glue.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Gumby wrote:Check of a good start, really like those wide tracks.
Thanks Gumby.

orange

Post by orange »

If you decide to change out your grille I would be interested in yours been looking everywhere for the muscle grille

will e

Post by will e »

az chip wrote:
will e wrote:I don't see rust (but I have bad eyes) are you sure that isn't some kind of leftover glue?

I ground some down. It seemed rusty like. And it left minor pits in the metal. It may have started as glue.
Well, at least it didn't create any holes! Gotta love AZ cars.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

ad5e337643d863348e4ced35f0ee0461.jpg
The floor area marked in yellow has to come out. Rusted through to the outside. Holes all through it. I just bought a Hobart 140 last month. I get to weld on my Jeep!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Hey All,

Been awhile. My time is taken by work Thanksgiving to now. But I am back, I have sold the CJ and ready to go on the Cherokee. Starting the usual mechanical stuff next week. My goals for this build are:

Reliability
Ease of repair
Camping
Light trail ie no rock climbing or extreme body damage stuff
Color change

Here I go.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Good to see you back at it.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

What's with the wavy looking area on the drivers side floor?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Nickkormat,

That is a very strange area of soft raised metal and rusty pinholes. Coming out soon and a patch will be welded in.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Freaking weird man, I wonder what that happened.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

My version is that an Armadillo jumped straight up as it was driven over and caused it. Good as story as any I guess.