Big Orange n Tan Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Nikkormat

Re: Big Orange Cherokee

Post by Nikkormat »

10-4
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

twmattox

Post by twmattox »

Sorry, chiming in a bit late. That rust on your floor pan is somewhat normal. Generally, the fresh air vents are clogged and rain water will overflow onto the floor and rust them out in that spot. You can check this by pouring a bucket of water down the vent by the windshield wipers. If you have water coming in by your feet then they are clogged. I would strongly recommend pulling the vents and cleaning them out.

As far as the water pump goes, I would recommend pulling the whole timing chain cover and replacing the timing chain while you are there. The water pump bolts to the timing chain cover and has water passages that run through it. Removal of the water pump can often cause leaks in those passages. Also, the oil pump bolts to the lower part of the timing chain cover. Removing the cover allows you to rebuild and clean the oil pump. Plus, the largest oil leaks I have found seem to be where the oil passages in the timing cover connect to the block. It is only a handful more bolts and an hour or so added on (the hardest part is the harmonic balancer).

Just my advice...
'83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
'88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
'05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
'11 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.8L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

The floor pans are both shot. Being replaced. Still changing seals on the engine.

1981 Cherokee Chief
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

az chip wrote:The floor pans are both shot. Being replaced. Still changing seals on the engine.

1981 Cherokee Chief
ImageImage
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

Final product on the valve covers. On to the next project.

1981 Cherokee Chief

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

Those look awesome. What primer, paint did you use?
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

bwwhaler wrote:Those look awesome. What primer, paint did you use?
Marhyde self etching primer and the AMC engine paint that is sold on eBay.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I like.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Wow - extremely good looking.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

Busy lately. A/C is broke and not being fixed right now. Been busy cleaning and changing gaskets. MSD wires, interior, transfer case, welding , and geez whatever else it needs. Going to change the name soon to holycrapwhatnow! Next after engine is floorboards. Prayers accepted.

1981 Cherokee ChiefImageImageImageImage

MJMadness

Post by MJMadness »

I didn't know anyone used Hylomar outside of the aviation world. What made you choose it?

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

MJMadness wrote:I didn't know anyone used Hylomar outside of the aviation world. What made you choose it?
I am from the Aviation world. Once I saw how rough the cast surface was for the valve covers I knew I had to use it. Only thing that would fill those gaps.

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

Got the new left front quarter panel on. Received the lift kit as well.

1981 Cherokee Chief

will e

Post by will e »

Looking good.

Last week you texted me about tires I used with my 4" rusty lift and I told you 31" BFG AT. You asked if 33" would work and I told you they would rub but I forgot you have a WT Cherokee. I was running a waggy which doesn't have the fender clearance. I believe, and someone can confirm this, that you can run 33" tires with a 4" lift on a Cherokee.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Curly

Post by Curly »

Im running 33/12.5 tires on my Cherokee w/t with no lift. Only rubbing is on the bushmaster flares.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

j20brett

Post by j20brett »

Who makes that lift kit??
"Kaiser" - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Rusty's lift kit.

Will e, I am not sure I want to go 33's with 3.31 gears.

1981 Cherokee Chief

Topic author
az chip

Big Orange Cherokee

Post by az chip »

I have been busy. Just not posting as much. Got the engine back together. While doing that got the serehill kit put in. Thanks for that! Easy peazy. Doing lift kit now. My first one. Hope I do it right. Please post helpful tips if you have them.
ImageImageImageImageImage

1981 Cherokee Chief

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

33s will totally fit with that lift. But yeah, 3.31 might be a little rough. Great work on the engine, it looks all clean and sparkly!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Curly

Post by Curly »

Some tips from my install: Make sure the springs are facing the correct way. I measured from the spring eye to the center bolt on the old spring and made sure the new one was the same way.
My kit came with different length U bolts. No paperwork in the kit to indicate the difference and I didn't notice the difference until the rear was installed. Not a big deal, but I wound up with the longer U bolts facing down on the driver front. I'll trim them rather than swap them.
The head of the center bolt is shorter on my new springs. I checked and rechecked and then checked again to make sure the pin went in the locating hole on the axle. It would probably be easier with a buddy. I had to keep moving back and forth between the jack and axle, trying to keep it all lined up.
Check your driveshaft length. My rear driveshaft was ok, but the front was right at maximum extension when sitting at ride height. I got a longer one from Bob in Tucson.

All done now, I need to install a new brake booster and bleed the brakes and then I am ready to go!

Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler