steering problems

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
phatton

steering problems

Post by phatton »

I just pulled the Quadra Trac out of my 78 J10. Replaced the chain, e drive switch and vacuum diaphragm with BJ off-road replacements. All other parts looked OK to me but I don't have any experience with the BW 1339 T case. Put it back on the truck - tried to drive it and it seemed stuck in emergency drive. Put the truck back in the shop, turned the engine off, disconnected the wire to the e drive switch, checked continuity to ground and got a tone which I believe means the emergency drive is actuated. Hooked up a vacuum pump the the normal drive side of the vacuum diaphragm, and disconnected the vacuum to the other (e drive side) of the diaphragm. As long as the diaphragm was getting vacuum E drive switch would open and continuity tone quit. When I took the vacuum off, the switch would close and I assume that I was back in e drive. My understanding of the system is that once the diaphragm actuated the fork and shifted the T case into 4 wheel drive; the system would stay in 4 wheel drive without vacuum until vacuum was applied to the other side of the Diaphragm. I figured that as long as the engine was running the switch would get vacuum and that would keep the T case in 4 wheel drive mode. I hooked up the vacuum lines to the correct Ports and backed out of the shop. The truck acted like it was in e drive. I did a series of s turns in reverse which helped a lot but right now it does not turn to the right as well as it should . I can get set steering wheel about 50% to the right and 100% to the left. Do I need more s turns in reverse?? Sorry for the length of this post - and I appreciate any advise you can give. Thanks