Driver's side exhaust manifold

Stock FSJ Tech Area

1978J10REDWHITE

Re: Driver's side exhaust manifold

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

Kind of a interesting point when did it, the air injectors all start.
I like the idea it existing to reduce crankcase internal pressures down, and clean the acidic air out some.
There are some aftermarket pumps systems, which cost $400-600 range that do the same thing and pump out the internal pressures yet are modern pumps far more reliable and efficient.
Mine a 76 has it so I'm still learning the beasts heritage and what was on these when etc.

will e

Post by will e »

1978J10REDWHITE wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:40 pm Kind of a interesting point when did it, the air injectors all start.
I like the idea it existing to reduce crankcase internal pressures down, and clean the acidic air out some.
There are some aftermarket pumps systems, which cost $400-600 range that do the same thing and pump out the internal pressures yet are modern pumps far more reliable and efficient.
Mine a 76 has it so I'm still learning the beasts heritage and what was on these when etc.
I may be mistaken but I this is not my understanding of their purpose or how they work. My understanding is the A.I.R. system was used to add a small amount of air into the exhaust system, not to reduce internal crankcase pressure.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

Perhaps both somewhat, as how my setup is plumbed draws on then intake thus removing some blow-by and it I think is using the exhaust as a dump side.

AccrateDelivery

Post by AccrateDelivery »

I have seen performance and flow comparisons done on various AMC 360 factory manifolds. They all point to the dogleg head and the pre-80 factory exhaust as the best for the 360. Not comparing headers now ... factory manifolds only. Some have even said "flows better than any other factory head/manifold among all manufacturers for the time period."

Check AMC360 forums for indepth research.