Need some motor advice

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
hawgwild

Need some motor advice

Post by hawgwild »

I have a 1978 J10 with the 360 5.9. I possibly have a broken valve as something went "POW". had it towed to the mechanics and preliminary thought is a problematic valve. too add to the issue is I also have a deteriorating main bearing. shop guys say the valve can be fixed but don't know how long the MB will last. they are suggesting a new long block. So...who makes the best remans if I go that route. thanks....

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Need some motor advice

Post by Stuka »

I know several people with Jasper engines, but not sure if Jasper still does AMC engines.

BJ's Offroad has a rebuild service, which they offer quite a few extras, like the oiling mod and such:
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Remanufacture ... _1655.html

You can also see if there are any shops near you that have experience with AMC V8s.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

You may also want to reach out to Rick Jones , SC/397 on this forum and the mother ship if you are considering a rebuild. That main bearing won't heal itself. Stock rebuild or something more, his work attention to detail is amazing and prices are inline with some of the crate motors if you're comparing apples to apples. I'm not shilling for Rick, his work speaks for itself with almost 100 AMC motors built under his belt. Many of them in trucks on this forum. Just another option to explore.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
hawgwild

Post by hawgwild »

thanks for the help. I checked with jaspar and I have to send mine in. they don't have any. also checked s and j and I like their price but want to know about what they do for the warranty. such as do they pay to have it removed and shipped? they are in Washington state and I am in North Ga. how do I contact Rick jones at sc/397. thanks again.

PBG928

Post by PBG928 »

BJ's should have motors ready to go as I just sold them two 360 cores. Napa also sell rebuilds. Make sure you get mechanics price.

Topic author
hawgwild

Post by hawgwild »

yeah i did. 1300 to pull and install. i live in a small town with few options.

MReese Wagoneer

Post by MReese Wagoneer »

I vote BJ I think they even cover shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:fsj:
New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

Topic author
hawgwild

Post by hawgwild »

I agree. jaspar has some terrible reviews. I am actually going to try and go with S and J as they provide for BJ's. will give them a call Monday

MReese Wagoneer

Post by MReese Wagoneer »

The difference then would be shipping !

:fsj:
New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

Topic author
hawgwild

Post by hawgwild »

I think it is free shipping but i will check again to make sure. been looking at plenty of sites. :shock:

Topic author
hawgwild

Post by hawgwild »

nope. 250.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Not a bad price. Plus, if you are inclined, you can do the mods/upgrades from BJ's. A 4 bbl intake and proper cam will really wake up that sleepy engine.

Rick would also be an awesome connection. I know he will cater to what you want as well.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
hawgwild

Post by hawgwild »

thanks. I already have an Edelbrock 4 bbl. I pm Rick Jones, I think, but have not heard back as of yet.

Hspencer

Post by Hspencer »

Yeah it’s a wash between BJ’s and dealing direct with S & J. I’m not sure about their warranty, I know they have recommended installers throughout the US, not sure if using one is a requirement to validate warranty.

1988 GW
1984 Wagoneer(SJ)
2008 JK

Topic author
hawgwild

Post by hawgwild »

I think the warranty is better if you use a professional installer. which in my case is a no brainer as my pay grade allows changing light bulbs and pumping gas in my truck. replacing an engine is much better if not left to mere mortals as myself.

Topic author
hawgwild

Post by hawgwild »

Well I ordered from BJ's. great warranty. knowledgeable people to speak with(Ryan). very helpful rep for the company. now it is the waiting game. had the oil line mod added and the rv cam. thanks all for your help and advice.