Fusebox Wiring Question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
a_robert_b

Fusebox Wiring Question

Post by a_robert_b »

Hey everyone,

I recently ordered a new fusebox and under dash wiring harness from Z&M Jeeps. The installation was very straight forward, but once I had the harness all hooked up I noticed that there are no terminals in the spots for my DOME-CTSY fuse and my TAIL fuse. Without these, I get no power to my light switch (which I have verified as functional) and no power to my ACC. LPS. Fuse.

So far I have yet to receive a response from the Z&M customer service line, so my questions for you are:

1. is there a way to wire a harness without these fuses? or are we thinking it was a mistake in production?

2. there is a plastic clip attached to the left side of the fusebox with two terminals. One is 12v switched power and the second goes to my light switch. I don't know what is supposed to go here, but if I jam a 20amp fuse between the two I get power to my accessories and my light switch and my problems seem to be solved? Anyone who is more skilled at reading a wiring diagram know whether or not that is a dangerous long-term solution?

Thanks for reading, I am really hoping to finally get this thing fired up again tomorrow after about a year of work on it, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
1983 j10 Sportside

tgreese

Re: Fusebox Wiring Question

Post by tgreese »

Supposedly the bulkhead connector and attached fuse panel is the same as used in some GM products. Possible that the configuration of the harness varies depending on the type of vehicle, accessories and equipment used by the target vehicle.

The wiring diagram for 1983 may be available on the Tom Collins site https://oljeep.com/ and is certainly included in the TSM for 1983. You should compare the wiring diagram to the harness to see whether there are any wires going to these locations. Assuming the tag on this part has a part number, you could also go to the parts books for '81-86 on that site and check that the part number matches what is listed as the correct replacement part for your truck.

If you are having trouble with the diagram, I suggest you print it out and blow it up to double size with a copy machine. tape the sheets together into one big diagram. Use a magnifying glass to read it if you need to. Use colored pencils and trace through the circuits you are concerned with.

I would also comment - the diagram for '83 on the Tom COllins site is not from the official Jeep TSM. Likely it's from a Haynes or Chiltons manual instead. These manuals cover many years and are known to have a lot of errors. May be ok - but I would get the actual Jeep wiring diagram and compare to that. Look at the 214 and 215 wires in particular - that appears to connect to that plastic part you refer to.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
a_robert_b

Re: Fusebox Wiring Question

Post by a_robert_b »

tgreese wrote:Supposedly the bulkhead connector and attached fuse panel is the same as used in some GM products. Possible that the configuration of the harness varies depending on the type of vehicle, accessories and equipment used by the target vehicle.

The wiring diagram for 1983 may be available on the Tom Collins site https://oljeep.com/ and is certainly included in the TSM for 1983. You should compare the wiring diagram to the harness to see whether there are any wires going to these locations. Assuming the tag on this part has a part number, you could also go to the parts books for '81-86 on that site and check that the part number matches what is listed as the correct replacement part for your truck.

If you are having trouble with the diagram, I suggest you print it out and blow it up to double size with a copy machine. tape the sheets together into one big diagram. Use a magnifying glass to read it if you need to. Use colored pencils and trace through the circuits you are concerned with.

I would also comment - the diagram for '83 on the Tom COllins site is not from the official Jeep TSM. Likely it's from a Haynes or Chiltons manual instead. These manuals cover many years and are known to have a lot of errors. May be ok - but I would get the actual Jeep wiring diagram and compare to that. Look at the 214 and 215 wires in particular - that appears to connect to that plastic part you refer to.
Thanks for the reply! I got a call back from Zack at Z&M Jeeps which was very helpful. A 30amp breaker/ fuse goes in the plastic clip to complete the connection to the headlight switch. No fuse needed in the dome and tail section of the fuse box. Looks like the previous owner really hacked my old dash harness to bits too which isn't helpful in comparing the two lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1983 j10 Sportside