77-90 door hardware, springs or kits?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

77-90 door hardware, springs or kits?

Post by rocklaurence »

I got tired of my inside handle not returning when I opened the door. So, I pulled it all apart and the circle spring inside the handle assembly is broke. Also the lock spring is gone. In order to access the handle return spring you have to bend back the tabs. However, Id rather buy new assemblies. Does anyone sell these and if not where do you get the parts to rebuild them?

sirrus
Vendor

Re: 77-90 door hardware, springs or kits?

Post by sirrus »

BJs sells lock springs, don’t know about the other one though
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I was able to disassemble the lever. The spring was broken, so I bent a tab on the remaining part of the spring to get it working. LOL, It took me 3 attempts at getting it right. First I put it together up-side-down. The second time the spring was backwards. Grrrr! Does anyone have a left/Right manual inside lever setup that they want to sell? Im in Lakeland, Fl 33812

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im still looking for a set of door latches. Driver side mostly if anyone has a set they want to sell.
Lakeland, Fl 33812
Last edited by rocklaurence on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

During this process, I re-furbished a set of '70s style door arm rests. They came out nice and they will be featured on the next video on The Slab64. It should be posted this week. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+slab64

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

I watched the video. I have what you are looking for to fix the door latch. I could disassemble it and just send the spring or send the whole thing.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

78 WIDETRAC wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:21 pm I watched the video. I have what you are looking for to fix the door latch. I could disassemble it and just send the spring or send the whole thing.
I have some springs coming from Ebay but Im not sure if they'll work. I'd rather have the whole assembly shipped. I'll contact you if these springs dont work. Thanks

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

The first set of springs arrived and they look to be the exact ones. Some how they are the same as a '56 Dodge sedan :P I wonder how much pre-load Ill have to have on the spring when I install it. Im certain that Ill have to do it 3-5 times to get it right. Oh, has this ever happened to anyone else regarding getting the door to latch? I have fought this door for years not fitting right or latching. So, I spent 4 hours aligning the door Saturday. I finally got it to fit well but it still wouldnt latch all the way /Closed. I moved the door. I moved the bolt and never could get the 2nd rotation. So, I welded some steel to the inside of the U that rotates on the bolt. And it totally worked!!! I guess it was so worn that there wasnt enough material on the inside of the U for the bolt to push against. Hours and hours of fussing to finally fix with a 15 minute solution. :roll: