74 roof slat adhesive?!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
74Wagonero

74 roof slat adhesive?!

Post by 74Wagonero »

Hello all! First time poster here but long time lurker...

I'm giving my roof some TLC, new well nuts, gaskets and ceiling sealer.... my question is about my roof slats. I bought a set of gaskets from teamwagoneer but they weren't the correct ones. Mine are much thinner and look like they only have an adhesive or 2 sided tape holding them on the roof. Also they're only held on with 1 screw on each end.

I can't find any info on this :x anyone have any insight into what I need? is there a specific product? Here you can see my slats vs. the incorrect gaskets I bought.

Thanks yall! - Mario
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jkcondrey

Re: 74 roof slat adhesive?!

Post by jkcondrey »

I haven't seen roof slats with tape on them in memory. It was always just the gasket and well nuts. Maybe someone did a repair on it prior to your work and used the tape?

Topic author
74Wagonero

Post by 74Wagonero »

I can't imagine it was a custom job. SEE IMAGE. 2 screws per slat, one on each end. Headliner looks completely original so I don't think the PO had done any work to it. It's not the plastic gasket that essentially slides under the chrome trim on the later models.

This is getting stranger and stranger....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Not strange. The slats look original to me. Two screws sounds right. I don't think there was adhesive, but maybe yes. The 70s' roof rack had smaller, aluminum slats. I'm not sure when they changed over to the wider SS slats.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
74Wagonero

Post by 74Wagonero »

Thanks fulsizjeep!

yeah, when i removed mine they appeared to have an adhesive, as a matter of fact I still have to scrape it off my roof and give the paint a nice buff and wax. I just don't know what to apply when I go to reinstall? totally lost!