1990 GW tailgate window switch

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jdm1990gw

1990 GW tailgate window switch

Post by Jdm1990gw »

Alright due to the Coronavirus and not working many hours I’m back at the tailgate switch problem. I’ve asked for help on this before but I still haven’t figured out the problem. Although I’ve managed to fix half the problem. I can get the tailgate to roll down with the tailgate switch but not up. Here’s what I’ve done so far

1. There was no power going to the red/yellow wire so I now have power going to that. After that the window started to roll down with the tailgate switch. (Side note the window always rolled up and down with the dash switch)

2. I replaced the switch with one from Team Grand Wagoneer. Expensive plus didn’t make a difference. Window still only rolls down with tailgate window switch

3. I eliminated the tailgate safety switch. I read somewhere that if that isn’t working properly the window won’t work properly but that didn’t change anything either so I might put that back since it seems it was working just fine.

Any suggestions?

sirrus
Vendor

Re: 1990 GW tailgate window switch

Post by sirrus »

Which switch you've replaced? I thought TGW only sells dash switch replacement. If dash switch works and you have power going to tailgate (red/yellow wire) then the only thing left is switch in the tailgate and it's connector - I'd get them out and give them both a good cleaning
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Jdm1990gw

Post by Jdm1990gw »

The switch I bought was the same switch for windows and door locks. I was told tailgate switch is the same just needs slight modification. Anyway I resolved the problem using original switch. P.O. had wires on the switch wrong

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I used switch for power seats to replace mine, but they are all the same. Only part that may be different is whether diagonal contacts are connected or not

Anyway I’m glad you’ve fixed it, congratulations on 100% working one!
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy