Ignition switch actuator

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Benjamin_R

Ignition switch actuator

Post by Benjamin_R »

I recently purchased a 1983 Jeep Cherokee with the 5.9 L engine. Some previous owner removed the lock cylinder. actuator and switch and I am looking to replace. I have not been able to find the actuator. Does anyone know where I might locate one or a work around? Would a switch, actuator and lock cylinder from a newer jeep work? inquiring minds want to know. ~ Thanks

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Ignition switch actuator

Post by Stuka »

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, when you say actuator, do you mean the rod that goes down inside the steering column? For 83, it should still be using the GM column, so an actuator from a GM of the same year should work. Or, one from a FSJ from 74-86ish should all be the same.

How are you starting the Jeep up now?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Benjamin_R

Post by Benjamin_R »

Yes, the rod that goes inside the steering column. Right now I am starting using a toggle and push button but am uncomfortable with that setup. Thank you! I will look into that and let you know. :)

MikeMac

Post by MikeMac »

Benjamin - Did you find a solution to this issue? I bought a '75 Cherokee a month ago, and it is missing the lock cylinder, rod/actuator and switch as well. She's not running yet, but I see that a previous owner bypassed the column with a toggle switch and push button. I took the steering column off over the weekend, and was hoping to install the AC Delco ignition key tumbler, but no such luck. I see scratch marks around the key hole, and it is slightly broken there, so my guess is that it was stolen at some point. Mine is a standard, so no tilt wheel.

Topic author
Benjamin_R

Post by Benjamin_R »

MikeMac I have not found a solution yet. My Jeep was at a local mechanic for a very long time due to lack of help and Covid. He ended up putting a keyed ignition switch off the column. I would still like to get it set up properly. I will keep you posted on any progress. Have you gotten yours sorted out?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

You-all understand that this is a generic GM steering column, sold as a commodity to Jeep by GM? There are lots of GM cars in the junkyard, and you should be able to get the parts you need from another car with this column. Also, any articles or videos online about servicing the GM column will apply to your Jeep too.

This column continued into the '80s, and that era's TSMs have more detailed coverage. Look on the Tom Collins site.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

Benjamin_R wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:27 am MikeMac I have not found a solution yet. My Jeep was at a local mechanic for a very long time due to lack of help and Covid. He ended up putting a keyed ignition switch off the column. I would still like to get it set up properly. I will keep you posted on any progress. Have you gotten yours sorted out?
I am not sure if Kenny, from Watson and Sons' Jeep Auto Salvage in Pinetown, NC has any sitting out or if he will remove one from one of his steering columns he has in the vehicle, but that would be where I would start. They are a really good small business. It is pretty much just him and his Dad running it. Mainly his Dad, because Kenny has a full time day job, but is very good at responding to questions. And I will see his son out there occasionally helping out. Here is a link to their Facebook Page if you have Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... %20salvage
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

Topic author
Benjamin_R

Post by Benjamin_R »

Thanks! I will be getting touch with them