Reman or new PS pump for 88 GW

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Reman or new PS pump for 88 GW

Post by sirrus »

I know that probably was discussed a million times already, but anyway :) I'm planning to replace my power steering pump as there are couple things wrong with it:

First, it is leaking from the front - not a big leak, but there is a small puddle inside pulley and when rotating pulley is spraying fluid everywhere, including heat insulation on the hood :)

Fluid level is not dropping significantly though

Tensioner bracket is missing (already found one on eBay) and whoever was tightening belt before was prying against pump reservoir - there is a big dent on the side (distorted reservoir is what probably caused the leak). I had to do that too unfortunately, but now I'm thinking about getting new pump with reservoir and a bracket

So what the consensus on best replacement pumps out there? I see re-manufactured and new ones, different brands and quite a variation in prices. What I've found so far : Should I bother with reman units? I can afford a new one and would prefer replacing it once instead of returning it until I get a good one - don't want to spend more money than I should too, though. What about brands? I think Borgeson should be a good one. PSC looks good too, however is it putting more pressure since it's "high performance"? Is that OK with stock steering box? Don't know anything about BBB one sold by RockAuto. So far I'm leaning towards BBB from RA or PSC from BJs, but I'd like to hear any opinions about them

All pumps come without pulley, so I'll have to transfer it from my old unit. Are there any things I should be worried about the process? Or is it as simple as using impact to get if off and screw it onto new unit?

I've also seen recommendations about replacing hoses (rockauto says it should be done every 5 years) - is that so? My only leak is from pump itself, hoses are a little stiff. but no cracks. I wasn't planning to replace the initially, but maybe I should? I also saw some place mentioning that it's good to add a filter on return line - what about that? Stock setup doesn't have any filters on the lines, is it worth adding one?
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Reman or new PS pump for 88 GW

Post by Stuka »

I might actually go for the reman. I think you have a better chance of an older US made unit with new bearings and seals. Maybe the new ones are US made, but not sure I would bet on it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Hm, good point, haven't thought about that. PSC and Borgeson are US made, pretty sure that BBB and whatever autozone/napa sells are not.

The thing about reman is that I've seen a lot of reviews from people saying that they had to go back and exchange it couple times until they finally get a good one.

What do you think about higher pressure from PSC pump? Would it be good or bad with stock steering box? Factory (and Borgeson) ones are 1200-1350 PSI and 2.7-3.5 GPM flow rate, PSC says 3.0 GPM, 1500-1600 PSI @ 1500 RPM. Flow rate is more or less the same, but pressure is ~300 PSI more
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

letank

Post by letank »

I would go for a new pump with warranty, it is a real pain to do it twice, purging the fluid, and making sure that the o-ring on the High pressure hose is set right... as for hose, I would go for new hose... BUT, I have not been impressed by hoses lately... unless you go for brand name... I bought some supposedly good quality hose for the return line on another vehicle... made in India was the first clue, and as the bending circle is a bit tight, the hose collapsed, I had to keep a larger bend than OEM, it is the second time that I had to deal with bad hose, the other was a short fuel line for FI, I had to go to the local hydraulic hose place to have it redone. On our set up there is not such a sharp bent.

I am still running hoses that I replaced at least 10 years ago
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

I have reman one coming on this week. If you wait a week I can let you know how it goes. Had tried a new hose, that didn't fix it. Mine was leaking out the rear lower (high pressure) hose fitting.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

As far as mine concerned anything from auto parts stores is hit or miss..ive gone through 4 radiators and 4 alternators and 2 power steering pumps and two water pumps on my two ZJs they are just utter crap these days
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Thanks for input, everyone! I think I’ll go with a new pump from PSC and replace hoses while I’m in there. I really don’t want to be going back and forward replacing the pump, and PSC ones are made in US and have a warranty.

Any opinions on whether I should add an inline filter to return line or it’s not needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letank

Post by letank »

sirrus wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:57 am Any opinions on whether I should add an inline filter to return line or it’s not needed?
I did the inline filter for 6 months after I flushed with new oil... then the cheap filter holder sprung a leak, the 2 half are held together by a circlip ,... The filter is mainly to clean up the oil hose residue, as you are putting new hoses and new pump, most of the old oil will have been out of the system. Then you can renew the PS oil every 30k miles or every 3 years
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

How did the swap go? Bracket below the reservoir now bumps the pulley when the pulley is mounted flush. Can't figure out how the remanufactured is different.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Pully on yours is probly pressed in too far. Why dont you pull it out some ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)