Installing factory brush guard. Can i keep the rubber bumper stops ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Installing factory brush guard. Can i keep the rubber bumper stops ?

Post by candymancan »

I just finished cleaning up. Welding a crack and painting my brush guard i got from a 79 cherokee. Itll bolt right up to my 90s bumper.

However the rubber bump stops on the bumper are in the way.

I tried to get the nuts off to remove them.. but i cant. Those stupid star bolts strip so damn easily. Hate them.

All thats preventing me from putting this brush guard on is 1 1.2 inchs of rubber on the botton. Can i just take a grinder with a cutting disk and cut off 1 1.2 inchs of the rubber on the bottom off ? This way the brush guard will be able to go up so the bolt holes line up ?

Or will this comprimise the bump stop in some way ? This pic is what id have to cut off. I dont have to go all the way through to the end just 1 1.2 inchs in so the metal bar on the brush guard can fit inside.

Or do you think thats ghetto ? I dont care about damaging these bumper things its not like ima remove this brush guard once i put it on. The 2nd pic is a factory brush guard on a late year grand wagoneer. You can see how the rubber stops are removed.. the purple circles is where the bump stops are conflicting.

photo upload sites free
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

gilbedw

Re: Installing factory brush guard. Can i keep the rubber bumper stops ?

Post by gilbedw »

My 82 Cherokee is very original and has a factory brush guard. The bumper has no rubber on it the either vertical or horizontal. l No holes just smooth,

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Later year ones had the rubber bumps stop held on by crappily placed nuts and star bolts i have no leverage at all to turn the nut. So like i said does anyone know of i can cut the rubber on the lower portion without hurting the rest of it ?

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

See your 82 had no bearing on my 90. Theure different

This nut i have no leverage or room. Can only get fingers in there.. How in tf do people get this off... lol

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

F it man im cutt the rubber.. i just stripped the nut i cant get it off.. no gdamn room.. uhg this makes me so angry

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I put a 79 brush guard on my 88 many years ago. I sold the bumps to someone who wanted them more than me. I have seen a couple GWs with the rubber bumps trimmed to fit a factory brush guard. One guy did his trimming on a band saw. Looks goofy to me but it works.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

will e

Post by will e »

I would cut the bolt or grind the head off.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I cut the rubber off. I took thr bumper off and i still couldnt get the bolts off because of that stupid star end. I thought cutting the bolt off.. but then it left my mind lol guess i didnt habe to destroy my bumper guards.. but oh well. This brush guard isnt coming off and i think it looks good with them still on.

The brush guard is a tad cock eyed because of a aparently fender bender the prior owner of that junkyard jeep was in. I might leave it alone. But i might take a tow strap ona tree and back up to try and pull the bend out. The drivers side bar around the headlight is inward 1 inch. But i worry if i mess with it itll break the welds. So ill probly leave it alone. Well see.

But i think it looks great tbh. Doesnt look bad with the bump stops still on. At least not to me. Took me 7 hours to get this thing on. Had to cut the bumper silver bolts off too because the alum bumper was so coroded the little squares on the bolts were just spinning. What a pita man lol.

Had to fab a bracket too, for my fog lights to raise them up 1 1.2 inchs factory height they were being blocked by the bar. Last thing i need to do is figure a way to install that plastic sheild that goes under the bumper to hide those leaf spring shackles. Ill probly have to cut it at the points where the mounting bar for the frame on the brush guard goes. Because those are in the way now.

Dont mind cutting the thing i just want it back on

[url=https://ibb.co/86CWhft]Image