1986 GW TF case output shaft bearing?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
jcpianka

1986 GW TF case output shaft bearing?

Post by jcpianka »

HI there. I have a 1986 GW 360 2v with tf 727 and NP T case. under 90000 on GW and recently started getting a tinny metallic sound, like a drum symbol, when putting in D or R. It now has more clunk than its had before. first started after a 250 highway mile drive. Rear output shaft yolk feels tight with no slop and seal done ~8000 miles ago and doesn't leak, u joints all new and smooth, d shaft slip joint good, rear end feels right w no leaks.

if i need to do rear output shaft bearing, is it take off rear yolk, rear cone off and then what.....?

is it a NP229 i'm guessing in 1986. The ID circle tag was removed when seal was done a year or so ago and now its missing. No vibrations and smooth and fine at highway speeds

thanks a bunch for any help with it.

letank

Re: 1986 GW TF case output shaft bearing?

Post by letank »

86 came with NP228 and Dana 44 rear diff--- of course with Jeep depending on the parts supplies sometimes swaps are done at the factory or PO.

The TC shifter by your right foot is different between 229 and 228... I forgot but someone will give infos EDIT: shifters are the same High N Low

85 came with NP229 and AMC 20 rear diff

and 87 and latter went back to NP 229 and Dana 44 rear diff

As for the noise check that the front disk dust shield are not loose, they are held by one bolt and one tack weld which gives way after a while
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)