91 Wagoneer Tailgate Motor

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Bkaab

91 Wagoneer Tailgate Motor

Post by Bkaab »

So I just bought a 91 Wagoneer. The rear window was down a little bit would not go up or down. I pulled the rear cover off the tailgate to get to the motor. Someone had been in there before since the wires to the motor were cut and twisted and taped back together. I tested the wires going to the motor and they do get power in both directions. So I then hooked up my own battery to the motor. It did a turn on but sounded like it was stripped out inside. Ran both directions like that. I took it out took it apart and looked inside which looked a little rough it not terrible. I put it back together with 3 small nuts inside to tighten it up (old trick I’ve used on older window motors of cars) put the motor back in and the motor seems like it’s dead again. I hit it and and it did get the window all the way up but now it’s completely non functional again.
I have only found 2 Motors for sale. 1 was $150 for a used one which doesn’t seem like a good idea and then $400 for a rebuilt one which is crazy.
Does anyone sell a rebuild kit for it or is there a window motor from a different vehicle that can made to work. Seems very similar to a old F150 window motor that I have changed before.

letank

Re: 91 Wagoneer Tailgate Motor

Post by letank »

those motors are pretty stout... recheck your ground which is on the frame piece facing the rear tire, the one parallel to the bumper, you will see a bunch of wires and some are the ground for the tailgate and the gas gauge ground, usually a mess of rusty wires.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Bkaab

Post by Bkaab »

I actually have it wired to a separate 12v source to test the motor to take all the original wiring out of the picture. It seems like the motor is burnt out. When it is stopped in a certain place it doesn’t move. If I give it a hit then it went up. I’m going to take it out of the regulator today and bench test it. Do they sell a rebuild kit for the gears inside? The big plastic seems to cam out of the one below it when it was working.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Youre saying the motor sound happened but the gear didnt spin ?

If thats the case then the plastoc gear inside is stripped. Had it happen once to me when my dash button got stuck going up and broke the teeth on the plastic gears. Although im still confused if thats your problem or not

I have 2 spare motors and a spare gear if you wanna purchase it off me.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Bkaab

Post by Bkaab »

I did end up getting it work with atleast the switch on the dash. If I try to use the key on the tailgate it only supplies 1 volt. I would be interested in that gear though. My bolt trick worked but should have a back up gear if it ends up failing.

On a side note now that I got the tailgate open the passenger latch doesn’t seem to fully lock when closed like the drivers side. I’ve tried adjusting the striker but can’t seem to get it to a place where it will fully latch.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Sometimes well often the plastic lever that the key flips on the door will break and it wont close with the key anymore.

Mine had that issue to. The only way to fix that is to get a new (used) one for bout 90$ or buy a converstion kit for bout the same price.

Or get lucky like me and find a good one in thr junkyard. My swotch was broken for the longest time so only the dash worked but i jist got a good one a week ago in the junkyard.

This is the mechanism im talking about. See how they convert it to a metal switch ? The original is plastic

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Tailgate-Win ... p_500.html.

Private message me for the motor gear. I have a gear and two extra motors i think. I gatta check the motors to see if they work. As i want one for myself. But yea pm me if you want a whole motor or just the gear

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Another option for the key switch would be replacing the actual switch with the one from power seats - it is exactly the same one. Almost free if you have them around used seat controls are way cheaper than $90 and you get two switched and a joystick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

You sure about that ? wow.. now that i look your right they look like the same buttons.. I think ima grab my spare seat switch and swap the button on my two broken tailgate switchs haha.. and then make a profit off them on ebay haha.. wow thanks. You just made me $150+ towards my 31 inch tire fund haha

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

That’s what I did on mine. I had to do a bit of grinding (les than 1mm), but I think it was because mine was a bit bent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

I posted pics of my tailgate window electric motor rebuild over on the mother board.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=187419
1979 Wagoneer