Leaking coolant passage way from timing cover

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TootieGeller

Leaking coolant passage way from timing cover

Post by TootieGeller »

So picked up a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that has been sitting for a few years. Decided to pull water pump and flush out everything, it was non running when I got it so I couldn’t do a proper flush plus water pump was so rusted. Anyway got the pump off and flushing what I can with water down the thermostat hole on manifold and letting all the junk leak out the passage ways without pump installed. I notice when I plug those holes to fill up, I can see water seep out where the timing cover mounts to block, the main large bolts had to be removed to get pump off, I’m just wondering when I reinstall new pump if there will continue to be a leak here. Hope this made sense, AMC 360 motor btw

letank

Re: Leaking coolant passage way from timing cover

Post by letank »

makes sense, dam paper gaskets fail after a while... so you are up for timing cover removal and inspection of timing chain, which at this point it is a good idea to install a new timing chain/timing gears with all that headache of making sure that the timing gear oiling passage are lined up

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12192

and add manifold vacuum timing

and ammeter bypass
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
TootieGeller

Post by TootieGeller »

Do I have to remove oil pump to remove timing cover? Just water pump and fuel pump right? I’d rather not mess with oil pump. Also when I removed water pump there was a gummy almost glue like sludge in passenger side coolant passage way, leads me to believe some lazy person saw leak from timing cover and put in some quick fix coolant leak fix in radiator and created blockage now I’m concerned about rest of engine.. thoughts?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Seems to me this question is fine for "General FSJ" or "Stock FSJ Tech." This section is for discussion of other Jeeps, not GWs etc. Not a problem to me, just thought I'd mention it. You might get more responses in one of those categories.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

TootieGeller wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:38 pm Do I have to remove oil pump to remove timing cover? Just water pump and fuel pump right? I’d rather not mess with oil pump. Also when I removed water pump there was a gummy almost glue like sludge in passenger side coolant passage way, leads me to believe some lazy person saw leak from timing cover and put in some quick fix coolant leak fix in radiator and created blockage now I’m concerned about rest of engine.. thoughts?
The oil pump is part of the timing cover. You will need to remove the distributor too. Suggest you read any of the '70s or '80s TSMs on the Tom Collins site https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html This will give you some background info about these engines which you seem to be lacking, and form a basis for more detailed and specific questions.

Jeep79OilPumpCover (800 x 662).jpg
Suggest you clean out any goop you can see, put the engine together and flush the cooling system with plain water a few times. Coolant passages in the engine block are rather large and unlikely to be clogged with any stop-leak that was added. Assess cooling once the engine is together and running.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

thank you Tim for posting, I could not remember where the initial post was.

At this point to avoid more $urpri$e$, it seems like a good idea to install the new water pump, and try to run the engine to see if it is running without suspicious noises and an abysmal oil pressure, knowing that our gauges are totally erratic from time to time, having a mechanical oil pressure ready to be installed.

Pressure test the cooling system is a good way to detect other leaks, 5 to 7 psi is enough to find any seapage. Some of those leaks stop when the engine comes to operating temperature.

There are must tools to remove the harmonic balancer and another tool to install the balancer, pounding on the balancer with a hammer will result in the slow destruction of the crankshaft thrust bearing. Front crank oil seal, front part of the oil pan gasket fidgeting part with the right amount of silicone around the proper edges, and replacement of the 2 dowels on the timing cover
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
TootieGeller

Post by TootieGeller »

Thanks everyone, sorry I’m in wrong forum area, everything is off and cleaned and putting back together, appreciate everyone’s time and info

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Moved thread to Stock FSJ Tech
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac