NP229 shift levers-can they be reversed?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

NP229 shift levers-can they be reversed?

Post by rocklaurence »

Hay Guys a quick question related to your NP229. My question is: does your NP229 have the Vacuum motor/2WD-4WD on the outside lever on the transfer case or the inside lever [closest to the transmission]. Every 229 case I've ever worked on/removed had the 2WD/4WD lever on the outside [driver's side] and the Hi/LO closer to the center-inside. However, recently I had a customer tell me after his Tcase rebuild that they were reversed. Is this possible-did New Process change which lever did what later in the years? Thanks for your input.

Note: I had posted this question under my NP229 shifter thread but didn't get any responses

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: NP229 shift levers-can they be reversed?

Post by rocklaurence »

Wow, still no answers or comments?? Is anyone familiar with the NP229 and knows which of the two transfer case linkages is the 2WD-4WD and HI-LO?
My understanding is the Vacuum motor goes to the outside/smaller linkage and is the 2WD/4WD linkage.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

rocklaurence wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 am Wow, still no answers or comments?? Is anyone familiar with the NP229 and knows which of the two transfer case linkages is the 2WD-4WD and HI-LO?
My understanding is the Vacuum motor goes to the outside/smaller linkage and is the 2WD/4WD linkage.
I'd happily look at mine, but it's in the shop for the past 2 weeks waiting to have the rockers adjusted.

Gotta get my shop built....
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Thanks and note: Im concerned that the lever functions are being reversed inside the transfer case. IMO, OEM has the vacuum 2WD/4WD furthest to the drivers side while the shifter under the seat is attached to the lever closest to the center-Hi/Low.