Is this an Exhaust check valve?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
marc

Post by marc »

Friends, I was investigating moving the air cleaner on my J10 in order to deal with the valve cover gasket when a hose from from the air filter housing to this onion shaped device near oil filter came off the device. The hose fitting had rusted away, on the far side of the fitting in the picture, there is nothing left to fit a hose to. This I believe it is an exhaust check valve. Unfortunately, this valve is frozen to the fitting on the end of the pipe to the exhaust pipe. I suspect that someone has tried before given the dent in the pipe it is attached to. Open to suggestions, if I can't move it after marinading it over night in PB Blaster, I have a fireproof board to protect the nearby components, I'll try heating it up the fitting with a micro butane torch. .Toying with taking a pipe wrench to the metal housing to get more leverage. Can these be replaced with a generic exhaust check valve?
Thanks, Marc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J10 1984, very stock with AMC 258.
Truck appears to have been rebuilt or restored at one time

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

You’re right, that’s a check valve on a air injection manifold. New ones are available in almost every parts store. It’s probably rust welded to the manifold by now, so there is very little chance you’ll get it off without destroying flimsy manifold. If you don’t have emission testing in your area the easiest solution would be weld it shut.

On my GW I tried replacing all three check valves as they were all blown and that’s what probably killed my air pump. Only one (on the tube to the cat) came off relatively clean, others wouldn’t even budge. Tried soaking them in pb blaster, atf and acetone, heating with torch, cutting - nothing, just broke the air injection manifold in the process. You can check the last post in my build thread :) Ended up getting new manifolds, bolts and hopefully will put it all back together this weekend :)
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy