Standing water in engine compartment

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
marc

Standing water in engine compartment

Post by marc »

Friends, when I got on to dealing with the notorious bolt at the back of the valve cover of my '84 J10, I discovered that the long channels at the top of the front wheel wells, for the hood hinge arms, had standing water. The sheet metal flange of the body tilts slightly towards the engine compartment so that water that goes over the hood curls around and falls, going into the compartment instead of running down the side. In the Northwest, this is an issue but I don't know if anyone else has had issue with it. Looking into some kind of weatherstripping. Appreciate it if anyone else has dealt with it.

(Can't stop the rust but you can annoy it) Marc
J10 1984, very stock with AMC 258.
Truck appears to have been rebuilt or restored at one time

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Standing water in engine compartment

Post by sirrus »

I don’t think any weatherstripping will help there, you’d still have water sucked through grille and from the ground when driving in the rain. I guess you can drill couple holes in the channel to help water drain?
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

letank

Post by letank »

X2 as above... I have standing water due to the fog as well... light sanding , rust treatment... and paint again... renew every 5 years or as needed.... my air filter has a rusty top as well
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

letank

Post by letank »

I would use a light sanding to remove the little clumps (on the underside, I did not bother to sand, only clean with a solvent) and use the permatex rust converter a whitish liquid, light coat, repeat after 20min, rust turns into a black color... protect from water for 24hrs, then you can prime and paint as usual... I have been lax, so I did not paint and the rust has returned as speckled dots...

I did the same for the air filter cover, the valve cover and the intake... they are all specks with little rusty spots... I did not paint the intake and valve cover
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)