Tilt steering flopping around/loose fix

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

OMG, I've read about this issue but didn't know how horrible a job this is :cry: My column is a Wagoneer tilt [in my J10] and for whatever reason it came loose. Prior to this I cut the Auto/shifter off [B&M floor shifter installed] and fiber glassed over the mount and sleeve to make it look like a manual trans column-worked good. Any way, I tore into the column to tighten these fasteners under the knuckle. I knew that Id have to pull the wheel, blinker switch etc to access the bolts but I didt expect how hidden they are. :x There are 3 #8 Torx head bolts. The two lower ones can be accessed with a tool by manipulating the Tilt position. I was able to pull these out and add Blue thread locker to them. However, the top left unit is buried under the knuckle. I even drilled an access hole through the knuckle above the fastener but the pivot yoke prevents room for a tool. GRRR. So, I was able to fix 2 of 3 fasteners. If I had to do it again, Id replace those fasteners with allen head bolts. Has anyone else worked on this mess and were you able to get to the hidden fastener? I was afraid to take the yoke apart because parts of it are under heavy spring pressure and I wasnt sure if I could get it back together. Post up how to do it correctly. :mrgreen:

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

There are actually 4 bolts, most of the time mechanics would short cut the process and only tighten the three that you can easily get to. It takes me a couple of hours to do the job and I have all the correct tools and have done about 20 over my automotive career. Lots of videos out there on how to do it. It’s a Saginaw column that GM, Chrysler, and AMC/Jeep used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

78 WIDETRAC

Re: Tilt steering flopping around/loose fix

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

You need to buy the removal tool for the side pins to completely remove the upper part of the column from the mid section to get to all of the tilts bolts.

It takes time, but with your skills it really should be an easy task.

I've taken a few a part, and the spring you are asking about is not under a tremendous amount of pressure. I just push and rotate with a flat blade screw driver. Just remove it slowly.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

Number 2 or 3 Phillips fits in the little square hole of the spring cap very nicely. Push in and quarter twist to release it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

mrtazwrench

Post by mrtazwrench »

When I got down to mine they were E-torx bolts, I didn't have any E-torx sockets at home, but tries my standard 1/4" sockets and found something that would fit good enough to tighten the bolts.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Thanks for every ones input. I watched video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_pPkQz5YXc and now I know what that extra piece of plastic was for [High Beam slide]. :x So, I have to at least get back in there to install that piece and I might as well purchase the pivot tool and do it RIGHT.. ;)
Tech Tip: remove the wrap-a-round sheath that protects the column wiring when re-installing the blinker switch wiring. It comes off easily and is much easier than trying to Fish that stupid plug through the sheath. Then just wrap the sheath around the wiring in its original position :shock:

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I received the tool to remove the knuckle pins. So, once I talk myself into it, Ill do it all over again. The right way :D