Instrument Cluster Clock and Blinker Indicators not Working

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Nmelchers

Instrument Cluster Clock and Blinker Indicators not Working

Post by Nmelchers »

I have an 86 Grand Wagoneer with the 360 engine. Currently the clock in the instrument cluster is not working and the green blinker indicators are not working either. The blinkers themselves work fine, just slow flashing which I assume is normal. The brake and seat belt lights work and so do all of the gauges. Any ideas what's going on? Possible grounding issue? If so, where should I look? Thanks!
1986 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 Project

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Instrument Cluster Clock and Blinker Indicators not Working

Post by sirrus »

Maybe dead indicator bulbs? I’d pull the cluster and check bulbs, and if they are good, check if they get 12 volts when blinker is on.

I can’t remember, 86 has rectangular gauges or still round?
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

I would also check the big plug at the base of the column and make sure none of the wires are frayed or broken around the harness terminal. It's not uncommon.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

letank

Post by letank »

86 is rectangular, with the clock in the instrument cluster.

the clock is powered to keep the time and to be turned on upon running position. The wiring could have been altered. Check for blown fuses and loose wires. I dealt with it at some point. IIRC the clock is on the same fuse as the courtesy lights which are sometimes disconnected (wire or fuse) to prevent battery drain.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you have the mechanical indicator relay, the cycle time (speed of on-off-on-off) is affected by the electrical load. If you have burnt out indicator bulbs, or installed LED bulbs, that reduces the load and the indicator flash slows down. (turn signals = indicators = blinkers, just different terminology). Twice a second is fast, once a second is pretty much typical.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Nmelchers

Post by Nmelchers »

So I got my blinkers working. I think the connections to the bulbs were just a little corroded. My clock is still not working. I took it apart and found a loose solder connection. I fixed the connection but I’m worried something might have burnt up. I’ve yet to try it but there’s some dark black stuff on the screen of the clock. See attached picture. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

That black stuff is normal, most of VFDs have getter inside the housing to absorb any residual gases.

Does clock module get power and ground?
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Nmelchers

Post by Nmelchers »

sirrus wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:02 pm That black stuff is normal, most of VFDs have getter inside the housing to absorb any residual gases.

Does clock module get power and ground?
Ok thanks for letting me know that’s normal! The harness is getting power and ground. As far as I can tell the connections on the instrument panel board are good as well. I’m hoping that one bad connection I fixed on the clocks circuit board will fix it. Won’t be able to try it until tomorrow afternoon.

Topic author
Nmelchers

Post by Nmelchers »

Clock still not working. Definitely getting power and ground. Must be some component that burnt up I guess.