My tailgate is driving me insane

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
weeegoneeer

My tailgate is driving me insane

Post by weeegoneeer »

Hi all!

So, my tailgate is driving me nuts. I have a new window seal and new alignment cones. It's adjusted so it needs a hard close for the latches to catch, figuring that would keep it tight.

The part that's killing me is that it will squeak like a small bird that had too much coffee, until I just tap the tailgate window switch to lower it a fraction of a fraction of an inch, and then I hear a sound that isn't a squeak but the closest thing I can compare it to is two balloons being rubbed together (though much quieter). More creak than squeak.

If it helps - when I'm pulling out of my garage which has a 4' steep angle to the street from the door, I hear the tailgate or window make that creaking noise when I cut the wheel and the body has a tiny amount of flex.

Every bump in the road is a squeak or a creak. In Portland that is a lot of bumps.

So,

- I've replaced the seal
- Cone bushings in place and adjusted
- Latches adjusted to zero play
- Replaced tailgate switch
- Lubed / inspected the followers on the lifter bar
- New wipes

The side window channels are kind of shot, but in place enough and with enough felt to more or less guide the window up. Really not looking forward to replacing them because the inner tailgate is a demon hellride. Also the weather stripping for the tailgate is 37 years old and crushed.

Throwing this out there if there's anything else I should be looking at.

Tips appreciated!
1984 GW

Laredo Matt

Re: My tailgate is driving me insane

Post by Laredo Matt »

Sorry I'm not able to offer any suggestions weeegoneeer, but I am definitely interested in feedback from others and will be following your thread.

I've just pulled the front doors and tailgate off my Cherokee as it is becoming a much bigger project than I imagined. I suspect it will be many many months before I got back to them again. The thought of rebuilding the worn out bits and then actually getting them adjusted and all working properly already has me a bit worried.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would suggest sitting in back, or maybe even outside as you have somebody go in and out of your driveway while you listen. You should be able to narrow it down that way. It might not even be the gate or window itself. I recall my cherokee having a weird noise from the back and it ended up being a body mount.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

That's a good tip Stuka! Also heard that putting some dry lube in the new window seal might be a good idea. Once the sheet of ice that is blanketing Portland melts will get out there and check it out. Might be distracted by everything else sounding like it's going to fall off though!
1984 GW

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Kind of random idea, but only two rubber things that can rub on each other with window up are window wipes and that piece of rubber that holds window in horizontal bar (attached to regulator arms). BJs call that lifter seal on their site. That rubber seal might be sticking out a bit and rub on wipes, giving your squeaking.

You can get in there and try to trim the excess - might be a solution if that’s what causing it
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy