Tailgate removal - stuck hing pins

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Tailgate removal - stuck hing pins

Post by Laredo Matt »

I'm trying to remove the tailgate on my Laredo. glass, regulators, motor etc. have all been removed. I'm not able to drive out the hing pins. I've sprayed em with WD-40, probably PJ Blast as well. Hammered on them with a punch but the pins won't budge.

The gate opened and closed easily enough before I started so it was well enough lubed. TSM just says drive out the pins. Am I missing something? Any tricks or suggestions?

I can simply remove the hinges / mounts from the body to get it off that way but wanted to leave them attached at this point for easier alignment in the future. I will need to remove the pins sooner or later regardless so figured it would be easier with the gate mounted.

If I have to will just remove the hinges I will and deal with pins and alignment later.

thanks
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Tailgate removal - stuck hing pins

Post by sirrus »

Having the hinges off the tailgate would make it easier, I suspect with hinges and tailgate both still on the vehicle pins support some of the weight - that can make it harder to hammer them out.

If you’re worried about aligning it back - scribe some marks on hinges and tailgate/body and mark the hinges (left/right) to have a reference for installing them back later
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I went ahead and removed the mounts. At least I'm able to make progress in stripping it down that way.

No easier to get the pins when the mounts are off. After a while of beating on the pins with no luck at all I set them aside and will figure it out later.

My goal now is to get the rear bumper and body mount HW out so I can get the body off. Those are all old and crusty with rust so I'm sure that's going to be a lot of work.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

I have I pin broke on the tailgate of my 89 Wag. I took it to a machine shop to drill out the mess that was the old bearings. I bailed and don’t have a better option! Just took one hinge off to try and avoid alignment problem, but forgot to scribe as I was breaking two of the 5 bolts. Luckily, after buying tap and die from Harbor Freight, enough of the bolt was still there and got a vise grip to get them out. Hinges are a p in the a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Johnzi10 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:46 pm I have I pin broke on the tailgate of my 89 Wag. I took it to a machine shop to drill out the mess that was the old bearings. I bailed and don’t have a better option! Just took one hinge off to try and avoid alignment problem, but forgot to scribe as I was breaking two of the 5 bolts. Luckily, after buying tap and die from Harbor Freight, enough of the bolt was still there and got a vise grip to get them out. Hinges are a p in the a

I've settled with the fact I'll probably have to drill both out. I'm going to worry about that a bit later. I also ended up not scribing it because I'm going to paint the jeep so would lose my marks regardless. I'll just have to play around and spend a lot of time with adjustments when it's time to put it all back together.

Fortunately, the bolts mounting the hinges to the body were easy to remove. First time I've said that about for just about anything I've taken off. If only the body mounts were the same. Haven't been able to get one yet :banghead:

At this rate, it going to be a long long time before I have to cross the reassembly bridge.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

My local machine shop charged $104.95 to drill out the pin and bearings. They media blasted it and installed the TGW hinge pin repair kit. They even left it for me to finish driving in the pin to get it just right! I’m pleased with the results and primered it tonight and will play with an airbrush to apply color and clear coat.

Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Johnzi10 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm My local machine shop charged $104.95 to drill out the pin and bearings. They media blasted it and installed the TGW hinge pin repair kit. They even left it for me to finish driving in the pin to get it just right! I’m pleased with the results and primered it tonight and will play with an airbrush to apply color and clear coat.
Congrats, the parts look nice.

Seems a little pricey but nice they media blasted and installed the repair kit. I've tried everything I can at my place with the tools I have except trying to drill out on my own and would rather not damage it. I'm sure I'll following the same path you did as mine are not budging.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe put them in the oven? My '84 has aluminum hinges. The differential expansion might break them loose.

If that doesn't do it you could try drilling. The spline that holds them is under the head so if you're on center it should work. Also once the heads are off you have a wider area to support the hinge when you wail on it with the hammer. Obviously need to be on center with the drill so as not to ruin the hinge.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.