Looking for information on 360s.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Looking for information on 360s.

Post by 84GWagoneer »

Hey all. New to the carburetor lifestyle so excuse any dumb questions or comments. My Grand Cherokee (WK) is an 05 but we wanted a battle wagon for our cruiser/hauler so we found a 1984 Grand Wagoneer limited. 5.9L, power everything, the works. Fantastic machine. The guy that had it before me did a little too much in the wrong areas so we're troubleshooting right now. We've done primarily small block Chevy work but I've always had a soft spot for jeeps since this is technically my 4th one.

So the thing i need a bit of help with is finding stock information that is consistent. I love the AMC motor lifestyle. I've always had great results from them. This one is a bit of a challenge since we're finding parts are a bit harder to track down, but that is also part of the fun.

So any general information you guys may have for this generation (i believe it's 84-87 before the changes, but correct me if I'm wrong) i would greatly appreciate it. Any tips, tricks, those weird stigmas they have garnished and earned or even the things you guys dislike or just cannot stand. We love to keep heavy records and literature for any of our cars, projects and rebuilds, so if you have recommendations on those things, please share links, names, anything.

The general overview is that we are planning to do a full motor rebuild of the 360. We are gonna have to bore it over because she is tired and worn out. We've already added a new edlebrock intake/carb combo, swapped in an HEI distributor system, Taylor wires and OEM spec spark plugs. The smog pump was deleted (and that i will take all the info you guys have on) but it was done very poorly and we are gonna have to be careful pulling it off. We plan to completely replace just about everything on the motor by next summer, also redoing axles, sourcing a new replacement transmission because we can get them discounted pretty great, and some little modifications to make it a fun vehicle for my nieces.

I know this is a long post, but if there is anything any of you guys can share, feel free. please, please, please leave whatever you want to leave. We plan on keeping this Jeep for many years to come and if we have to tear it down and do another build style, we don't mind. That's part of the fun of Jeeps. Thanks guys!

tgreese

Re: Looking for information on 360s.

Post by tgreese »

The TSM is your single best authority. https://www.bjsoffroad.com/1984-87-Jeep ... _1056.html

BJ's will give you a modest discount as a member of this forum.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

tgreese wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:37 am The TSM is your single best authority. https://www.bjsoffroad.com/1984-87-Jeep ... _1056.html

BJ's will give you a modest discount as a member of this forum.
Fantastic. I saw that yesterday while i was hunting and had it on my list. is there a code or selection to input that you're a member of the forum?

Thanks again for the response!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I think one if the more important mods is adding a oil tube to spray oil on the bits for cylinder 8 the cam ect. I thinm its common for the 360 to have issues back there..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

Roger! will add that to the books. Any specific kits you've used/seen?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There are several oiling mods that you can do. No kit to do this that I know of. Search here, at IFSJA and on the AMC forums for some discussion.

An example - http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/am ... 0setup.htm

Found this "kit" - not much of a kit. https://www.amclives.com/products/oil-l ... 91-amc-v-8 If I added this line, I would definitely use steel instead of copper, given the fatigue characteristics of copper. It's almost certainly ok as copper, given that this mod has been around for many years.

For an inexperienced builder, I think that modifications from stock run more of a risk that they will do something wrong, than the possible benefit of such mods in normal service. A seasoned engine is a reliable engine, and there is always a risk that something will get messed up when building an engine.

JMO - if you do a solid rebuild and follow the factory specs, your engine will give good service and last a long time. Every engine design has some "deficit" that hot rodders will try to address. In normal service, I think this stuff makes little difference. Also IMO proper oil changes will make the most difference to engine longevity.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

Roger Roger. i appreciate the help. We are shooting for close to stock style everything. Just trying to beef up what is there for protection and longevity. Everything that we have already acquired and/or plan to acquire is purely for taking the base line and making it a safer more efficient variant of what it was from the factory. We aren't building a crawler or a hot rod. Just something that we can load up and use to move our work equipment when the weather is nice and use it to tow our trailer to car shows and bring back parts for our Grand National and (hopefully) our soon to be El Camino build. I just want something that's fun to drive when it is warm and something my nieces can also use when we go on camping trips.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would mention - defective parts can be an issue. Defective timing gears have been a particular problem. The oiling slots can be wrong and not line up with the original oil passage. When you get your parts, search and there are lots of threads on IFSJA that discuss this. Current parts may be ok, but you need to check for this problem.

SC/397 is an engine builder that posts on IFSJA. You may find his threads informative, if you are interested in the more detailed aspects of building these engines: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141096
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

Oljeep.com has PDF versions of most of the TSM’s, most of which are hyperlinked and bookmarked through to make finding stuff fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Grand Wagoneer - under the knife

Topic author
84GWagoneer

Post by 84GWagoneer »

Thanks guys for this information! exactly what i needed!