87 carpet question

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
80Limited

87 carpet question

Post by 80Limited »

Has anyone found a direct replacement for carpet? Not a aftermarket kit or anything, I’m looking for the closest possible match for pile. All my carpet is in good to great shape except the cargo carpet.
Thanks

candymancan

Re: 87 carpet question

Post by candymancan »

Closest youll find are the ones on teamgrandwagoneer or the other Jeep sites
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

That’s what I was worried about

Theduke

Post by Theduke »

I ordered the free samples from bjsoffroad so I could match the pile and color. There are a few options in the tan color I needed. So I ended up with a few colors and a few pile types to compare.
https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Carpet-Samples_p_1762.html
1989 Grand Wagoneer
AMC360 TF727 NP229

505Burro

Post by 505Burro »

On my '87 I reluctantly went with an all- new kit in Essex from BJ's.

I like their kit (I' m just about to start installing it) but it's not the factory shag. I am not replacing the door panel carpet, so it might look a bit obvious how different it is. Color is close though. Definitely second sending for the carpet samples, worth it to match your color.

That being said...when I brought my cargo panels into my house to do the carpet install on them, I had a surprise. This house was built in the early 2000s and had a dark tan-ish cheap worn-down tall pile carpet that we couldn't afford to replace when we bought the place, so just had it professionally cleaned. Sat one of my old original carpeted panels on the floor and dam if it wasn't a near dead match!!

If I hadn't already bought the whole kit ( which is really nice by the way... but doesn't include the kick piece under the back seat front) I would have actually tried getting in touch with a household carpet place or upholsterer to see if they could edge bind that carpet with vinyl and reproduce pieces for me. I really like the old original Waggy shag look...could be why I liked this house too lol!

Anyways, could be something to investigate since the rest of your carpet is good. The hardest parts would be the wheel wells, but could probably be fabricated if they took their time. The household backing might give them fits though. Not sure how it compares to automotive grade...and it might not be as compatible for the higher heat that vehicles experience.
My first Wagoneer...1987... ain't it Grand?
2003 TJ Rubicon Tomb Raider edition

hanger

Post by hanger »

505Burro wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:55 am On my '87 I reluctantly went with an all- new kit in Essex from BJ's.

I like their kit (I' m just about to start installing it) but it's not the factory shag. I am not replacing the door panel carpet, so it might look a bit obvious how different it is. Color is close though. Definitely second sending for the carpet samples, worth it to match your color.
Does BJs sell door panel carpet kits?

505Burro

Post by 505Burro »

No, you have to order the extra yardage of carpet to cut your own.

I bought the extra carpet to do the seat backs with my new upholstery I'm having done. The upholsterer is not finished with my back seat yet, but told her to save any scraps in case there's enough to do the door panels if I choose.

Too soon to see how much is left over.
My first Wagoneer...1987... ain't it Grand?
2003 TJ Rubicon Tomb Raider edition