NP 229 Stuck in 4 high

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Kadiggy

NP 229 Stuck in 4 high

Post by Kadiggy »

EB9609CC-7667-4ED6-A843-5CC5B9184026.jpeg
So, I’m sure that this question has been asked hundreds of times. I actually know why my ‘83 wagoneer is stuck in 4wd. Someone purposely modified the linkage and added a turnbuckle from the transfer case linkage to the vacuum actuator and locked it in 4 high. I’m just not sure why they would do that. Has anyone ever seen any crap like this before? Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1983 Jeep Wagoneer, 360, NP 229 selectrac

sirrus
Vendor

Re: NP 229 Stuck in 4 high

Post by sirrus »

Maybe vacuum switch or motor went bad and PO thought to stick with 4wd if he had to choose between 2wd and 4wd? It’s always a guessing game trying to figure PO’s reasons for such things...
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Theduke

Post by Theduke »

Disconnect the linkage and you can manually move it to 2wd and verify that the t-case works correctly. The throw of the lever on the t-case is really short, maybe an inch. After that hook up a vacuum pump to the actuator and verify it moves in and out when you pump. There are 2 connections 1 for in, 1 for out. If it works continue up the hoses to engine then dash. If it doesn't work I'd remove it and start looking at other options. I'm considering a push pull cable from mcmaster Carr as an option to bypass the vacuum actuator, the cable should mount to the bracket for the vacuum actuator.
Hope this helps
1989 Grand Wagoneer
AMC360 TF727 NP229

Topic author
Kadiggy

Post by Kadiggy »

Theduke wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:29 am Disconnect the linkage and you can manually move it to 2wd and verify that the t-case works correctly. The throw of the lever on the t-case is really short, maybe an inch. After that hook up a vacuum pump to the actuator and verify it moves in and out when you pump. There are 2 connections 1 for in, 1 for out. If it works continue up the hoses to engine then dash. If it doesn't work I'd remove it and start looking at other options. I'm considering a push pull cable from mcmaster Carr as an option to bypass the vacuum actuator, the cable should mount to the bracket for the vacuum actuator.
Hope this helps
Thanks for the help, I’ll have to research the bypass option

Topic author
Kadiggy

Post by Kadiggy »

I’d be very interested if some one has done a pull cable mod on the axle vacuum actuator, I haven’t found anything on YouTube about it. I’m also considering going with TC shifter from rocklaurence. I just need to figure the axle thing out too. On that note, I spoke with rocklaurence a few days ago and he sent me a PM on this post, but I’m unable to reply. Am I missing something?

Theduke

Post by Theduke »

Just to clarify, I'm only refering to the t-case when talking about a cable shifter to replace vacuum. I forgot that certain years had vacuum actuated axles as well. Mine being an 89 does not so it slipped my mind but it should be possible.
1989 Grand Wagoneer
AMC360 TF727 NP229

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

You should be able to move the Levers on the Tcase to ensure that it shifts and isnt broken. Do this Safely from under the vehicle. Both levers move CW [pointing to the rear of the vehicle ] is 2WD/HI. You should check the operation first because a Shifter wont fix a broken Tcase. There is a Cable operated CAD for the YJ jeeps that you maybe able to adapt to the Wagoneer.

Topic author
Kadiggy

Post by Kadiggy »

Thanks rocklaurence, I tried to respond to your pm, no luck. We’ve had some bad weather so I haven’t been able get under it to check the t-case yet. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Topic author
Kadiggy

Post by Kadiggy »

So, sorry I haven’t given any updates. I finally got it in the air and disconnected the t-case from the vacuum actuator. It looks like there is vacuum issues(big surprise right). When I manually put the lever in 2wd it does go, but while in neutral it makes a slight grinding noise which goes away once it’s in drive. So I’m debating whether I need a new case or not…or maybe one of those manual shifters.