Driveshaft flange bolt socket and AMC20 casting identification

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Driveshaft flange bolt socket and AMC20 casting identification

Post by Laredo Matt »

A few questions.

First - I need to pull the front and rear driveshaft as well as the rag joint from the steering box. All look like they use 12 sided bolts.

My question is - will any 12 sided socket work or is this a unique pattern for driveshafts? This is yet another first for me.

I found an SAE set on amazon for $25 but before purchase want to make sure they'll work. I also see driveshaft specific sockets for Ford and others on websites and they can be as much as $30+ each.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-8-Inch-Sh ... r=8-9&th=1

Second - can anyone help decipher the casting numbers on the AMC20 rear? I know the front dana 44 has 3.31 gears from the tag. So the rear I assume is same even though I can't tell from the casting. I looked up AMC20 castings and looked at a few web sites (jeepform, jeeptech, etc.) and all they provide is gear ratio letters and none of those match mine and they don't help determine any of the other marks. Not critical just curious what they mean.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

SJTD

Re: Driveshaft flange bolt socket and AMC20 casting identification

Post by SJTD »

Can't help on the other numbers but 43-13 are the numbers of ring and pinion toofs.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Driveshaft flange bolt socket and AMC20 casting identification

Post by Stuka »

Those are just a 12 pointed socket bolt. They look weird, but a 12 point socket should pull them out.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ