Anyway to keep th3 safety switch plug.. plugged in on the tailgate ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Anyway to keep th3 safety switch plug.. plugged in on the tailgate ?

Post by candymancan »

Im about to take th3 panels off again for the 5th time now to plug the wire back in.. is there anyway to keep this plug in and secure it better ? Im tired of the plug falling out. And id rather not bypass the safety switch. I can see one day the window openeing and falling out without it..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Anyway to keep th3 safety switch plug.. plugged in on the tailgate ?

Post by Stuka »

In the electronics industry when there is a plug we want to stay on, we use one of a few types of glue.

For your case, hot glue would probably work the best. Basically put a bead from the base connector up over the one your are plugging in. That way once the glue hardens, the only way that connector is coming off is it you cut the glue.

If you don't have a hot glue gun, you can use a rigid silicone. I am not sure if RTV would be strong enough, but you could try it. We never used actual silicone because its curing process is acidic and can damage components or the PCB itself. And the types of glue we used where hot glue was not an option arent readily available outside of electronics supply shops. But RTV/Silicone should not effect that connector.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Thats actually what i just did.. siliconed it on lol. But now ny damned keyd switch isnt working very good anymore. Have to turn the key very hard to the left or right for it open and it isnt allowing the interior switch to work anymore.

I tell ya.. the tailgate on these Jeeps is the most pita pos ever.. sick of it lol. I already replaced that keyed switch once too

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

If done properly it’s not really a pita.

Safety switch wiring popping off - it is because pins in the connector are weak or something is pulling in the wires? You can disassemble the connector and bend pins, and ensure that wire are out of the way of any moving parts.

Keyed switch - I guess you replaced it with other used one, what is the condition of contacts inside? These switches are easy to pull apart and inspect. Clean the up with some wire brush or sandpaper, put dielectric grease there and it will last much longer. Same treatment for switch connector
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

40 year old tail gates with windows that roll down are all a pita. Bronco's and Blazers have the same issues, so its not just an AMC thing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea i replaced it with one from a 79 cherokee. It worked fine for a year almost until now. Now it works.. but i gatta turn the key all the way and then turn it really hard and then it works.. its weird how i gatta almost break thr key to get it ti work. And i dunno why the button on the dash doesnt work.

I just hate taking the glass out. Those clips are extremely hard to get back in